To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Player values

A forum for discussion on the Guardian Fantasy Football game
andye
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Player values

Post by andye »

Spencer4 wrote:
andye wrote:How many net transfers do you reckon it takes to push a players price up or down a million ?
10,000 maybe ?

That would mean 10,000 people sold Gerrard before last Thursday and 5,000 in the last week

Any thoughts ?
I'd have thought he'd have left maybe 2,000 teams at most.
Gerrard was owned by nearly 30,000 teams - if only 2000 have sold him so far it would mean his value could plummet to zero if evryone sold him . Personally , I can't see that situation being allowed to happen given that they have said price changes will not be overly dramatic

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier League Champion 2014-15

Post by The Saint »

Not So Special One wrote:Today's price changes have to reflect net transfers for the whole season, as they are the first to be published officially.

The price changes you saw last week were for the whole season up to then, but since they were made public by accident and quickly withdrawn, transfers in and out continued to be made using the values from before the season began.
But if that theory is correct it means there have been significant net-buys of the likes of Gerrard and Ronaldo in the last 7 days?

Not So Special One
Treebeard

Post by Not So Special One »

What you quoted isn't theory but fact, right? What part of it is not fact? The theories are whatever explanations and conclusions we may come up with to try to make sense of the facts.

It will be interesting to see how often price changes are posted - daily or weekly - and what they amount to, now the first, abnormal set of changes is out of the way.
Last edited by Not So Special One on 11 Sep 2008, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

Not So Special One wrote:It will be interesting to see how often price changes are posted - daily or weekly - and what they amount to, now the first, abnormal set of changes is out of the way.
Price changes will be weekly - early Thursday am.

Not So Special One
Treebeard

Post by Not So Special One »

Thanks. I'm sure we'll all be getting up early. :wink:

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

Not So Special One wrote:What you quoted isn't theory but fact, right? What part of it is not fact? The theories are whatever explanations and conclusions we may come up with to try to make sense of the facts.
But the suggestion from AndyE above was that the price changes last night reflected net transfers in the last 7 days (as per his email from clever TV/GFF). Though, of course, the email could be read as suggesting that normally price changes will be net transfers in the last 7 days (since the last round of price changes) but this initial round of changes was from the beginning of the season.

If last week's mistakenly publised stats were an accurate reflection of the prices at that point in time then I do find it surprising that Ronaldo and Gerrard have been net-purchased since the publication of those stats. Perhaps it was an algorithm which they subsequently refined?

Hamlet
Treebeard

Post by Hamlet »

Not So Special One wrote:Today's price changes have to reflect net transfers for the whole season, as they are the first to be published officially.

Apart from this (spurious) logic, you haven't offered any argument as to why these price changes reflect the whole season (not that I can see anyhow).

Given that... a) we know that price changes will usually reflect transfer activity in the last 7 days (from the website),

b) The Saint's perfectly reasonable questioning as to why anyone would ship in Ronaldo in the last week (Gerrard might be more explainable, since there have been rumours about him starting on Sat - people hoping to get him (back) before his price falls?)...

The onus would fall on you to demonstrate why the 7 day 'theory' can't be correct. I think it was Spencer4 who questioned why anyone would make transfers this week: well, because of the price rises kicking in. Whether or not it will prove to be a 'waste', as you suggest, is yet to be seen, but I made a series of transfers last night, to improve my team while taking advantage of the likely risers (and Not So Special One has stated that he did the same). I'd imagine a fair amount of people did the same.

anon6
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: Small Profit

Post by anon6 »

I made a series of transfers last night, to improve my team while taking advantage of the likely risers (and Not So Special One has stated that he did the same). I'd imagine a fair amount of people did the same.
I did that too :D

stanley smith
Red & Blue Braces

Post by stanley smith »

1086 wrote:
I made a series of transfers last night, to improve my team while taking advantage of the likely risers (and Not So Special One has stated that he did the same). I'd imagine a fair amount of people did the same.
I did that too :D
I used all my august transfers for same reason too. :lol:
Think my team is currently about 15 mil under budget but still performing fairly well.

stanley smith
Red & Blue Braces

Post by stanley smith »

Changes to values have been made for this week. Good time to buy Torres?

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

Torres falls by another 0.4M this week despite being back from injury and scoring again :? Surely people will start buying now or at least stop selling?

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

The irrationality of this market continues to frustrate me. I prudently ditch the injured Huth and Nosworthy but their prices continue to rise :?

I'm also rather amused about the Guardian's/cleve tv claim in an email to me that price rises would be 'modest'. Zaki has now risen by 2.8M in only a few weeks. It has not been unusual for players to rise or fall by a million in a week.

anon6
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by anon6 »

How many are playing this game Saint :?:

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

91538 team registerd early last week.

anon6
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by anon6 »

cheers.

That's that idea out the window then :?

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

Relieved I did Torres :arrow: Rooney transfer as I made a net gain of 1.4M overnight on that one transaction :shock:

waiheke
Treebeard

Post by waiheke »

i made the same transfer before last weekends games...but forgot to save it! :oops:

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

Am I right in thinking the player values haven't changed yet this week? I thought they changed in the early hours of Thursday morning?

Minor
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Minor »

i think it was done during the afternoon last week.

fisoadms
Kevin and Perry

Post by fisoadms »

So did they just not bother to update the prices this week? Or maybe it's just all my players stayed the same.
Strange.

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

Prices appear to have changed now. Think it was done yesterday. I have emailed them to find out what is going on.

Minor
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Minor »

Yet again values haven't been updated when they said they would. It is getting pretty annoying now.

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

I have no reply to my email on the subject. If they are changing the time of the increases to Sunday night/Monday morning or to a random when they feel like it they should make that clear.

El Tel of Ealing
Grumpy Old Man

Post by El Tel of Ealing »

It is run by Not-very-Clever TV.
Its stock in trade seems to be making nothing clear.

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

I have now had a reply to my email as follows:

"The player value fluctuations that week were delayed by 3 days. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. I can confirm that, goin [sic] forward, value will fluctuate overnigh [sic] on Thursdays."

Hamlet
Treebeard

Post by Hamlet »

I think it's been updated now, if anyone's interested.

stegg
Kevin and Perry

Post by stegg »

Yep, definitely updated

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Guardian Fantasy Football (Ceased)”