To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Guardian Fantasy Football 2008/09

A forum for discussion on the Guardian Fantasy Football game
City4United1
Red & Blue Braces

Re: Guardian Fantasy Football 2008/09

Post by City4United1 »

I'm slightly confused by the "Defensive Midfield" position. It seems to score the same way as Defender, so what's the point? I must be missing something.

Also, Gareth Barry and Michael Johnson defensive midfielders?

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

City4United1 wrote:I'm slightly confused by the "Defensive Midfield" position. It seems to score the same way as Defender, so what's the point? I must be missing something.
They do but they don't lose points for conceding goals. The only reason not to have as many DMs as possible is the lack of choice. I also thought it was strange in this game that all player types score the same attacking points so if Robinson scores from the halfway line again he gets no more than Ronaldo scoring his 35th goal. :?
City4United1 wrote:Gareth Barry
Shhh... ;)

City4United1
Red & Blue Braces

Post by City4United1 »

DrBunker wrote:They do but they don't lose points for conceding goals.
Ah yes. I see it now. Eye test overdue...

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

City4United1 wrote:
I don't think something wrong with your eyes.I was thinking same when I was picking my team up.Every single point allocation was same for DM and DF and I tought there were no difference at all.(Infact all positions were getting -1 for conceeding each goal include midfielders and strikers).
But I think they've just changed the rules for scoring. :)

ps;I actually just had my eye test last month. :wink:

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

C.Sativa wrote:
City4United1 wrote:
I don't think something wrong with your eyes.I was thinking same when I was picking my team up.Every single point allocation was same for DM and DF and I tought there were no difference at all.(Infact all positions were getting -1 for conceeding each goal include midfielders and strikers).

That's a bit worrying then. From what you say it sounds as though they're making it up as they go along! Oh well, as long as it's settled by the beginning of the season everyone will be in the same boat. :)

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

DrBunker wrote:
C.Sativa wrote:
City4United1 wrote:

That's a bit worrying then. From what you say it sounds as though they're making it up as they go along! Oh well, as long as it's settled by the beginning of the season everyone will be in the same boat. :)
I wouldn't say they are making it up as they go a long.I tought there were mistake and they amended.The reason I remember was I tought it was very unusuall to give -1 point for strikers(That looked like it was misprinted,and it was the first day when the game launched)) and I also relise DF and MF was exactly same.I even change my formation after reading the scoring rules.I first pick 3 MF and 2 DM but later I've changed to 4 DF 1 DM after relising no points difference between DM and DF.And now I might change it back. :)

stanley smith
Red & Blue Braces

Post by stanley smith »

Seems strange to give defensive mid (DM) clean sheet points (potential for +4) but not to take points off for conceeding goals. It would appear to be a no-brainer to pick 2 x DM at the expense of a midfielder as both categories score the same points except that DM can score an extra 4.

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier League Champion 2014-15

Post by The Saint »

stanley smith wrote:Seems strange to give defensive mid (DM) clean sheet points (potential for +4) but not to take points off for conceeding goals. It would appear to be a no-brainer to pick 2 x DM at the expense of a midfielder as both categories score the same points except that DM can score an extra 4.
Presumably their thinking is that in most fantasy games defensive midfielders although they can be great player don't make for great fantasy football players (Viera, Keane, Makelele, etc.) but if you throw in the clean sheet bonus they become an option. Agree that not losing points for conceeding is anomolous but perhaps their thinking is that it means a greater range of players (i.e. non top 4) become viable in that position.

idea
Treebeard

Post by idea »

What a mess of a game, extremely overly complicated in places and stupidly restrictive at the same time. Would like to hear what a really manager would say if he was told he had a subs bench, but couldn't actual use it after being forced to pick a side on Saturday to play a game on Sunday.

Looks like they had a lot of ideas (not all bad) and instead of selecting one or two just decide to do them all.

The most realistic game ever? More like the most confused

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

idea wrote:What a mess of a game, extremely overly complicated in places and stupidly restrictive at the same time. Would like to hear what a really manager would say if he was told he had a subs bench, but couldn't actual use it after being forced to pick a side on Saturday to play a game on Sunday.
I'm not sure if I've got the wrong end of the stick with this but this rule is the same as FPL, CYKI and other games.

I've not found the game confused myself and I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out once it's used in action.

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2nd YTM 09/10; 3 TFFO Top 10 finishes; 6th TFCI 2008.

Post by AkNotSpur »

Overseas entries permitted :) - but no prizes. :(
Thanks for your email.

I am glad to let you know that you are eligible to participate on the game being overseas, however, you will not be able to pick any prizes am afraid.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Emilio @ Guardian Fantasy Football HQ
...in a game without an entry fee, jeez. :shock:

mongoose
FISOhead

Post by mongoose »

DrBunker wrote:
idea wrote:What a mess of a game, extremely overly complicated in places and stupidly restrictive at the same time. Would like to hear what a really manager would say if he was told he had a subs bench, but couldn't actual use it after being forced to pick a side on Saturday to play a game on Sunday.
I'm not sure if I've got the wrong end of the stick with this but this rule is the same as FPL, CYKI and other games.

I've not found the game confused myself and I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out once it's used in action.
I think the problem is that there are no auto-subs as in those other games. If there were, then this would not be a problem, as you would automatically field the reserve players. By having to select on Saturday, it is more difficult to judge what the situation for players in later fixtures is.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

AkNotSpur wrote:Overseas entries permitted :) - but no prizes. :(
Thanks for your email.

I am glad to let you know that you are eligible to participate on the game being overseas, however, you will not be able to pick any prizes am afraid.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Emilio @ Guardian Fantasy Football HQ
...in a game without an entry fee, jeez. :shock:
Same old, same old though for a game sponsored by a UK based newspaper isn't it. I'm not sure how many people it causes to go and buy a Guardian when they wouldn't usually but I know it doesn't make me any more likely to!

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

mongoose wrote:
DrBunker wrote:

I think the problem is that there are no auto-subs as in those other games. If there were, then this would not be a problem, as you would automatically field the reserve players. By having to select on Saturday, it is more difficult to judge what the situation for players in later fixtures is.
Fair point then, I'm surprised then with all of the additions they have made that they didn't add this in. I think even the metro game has that option this year.

Oh well, the old saying that we're all working to the same rules applies! ;)

idea
Treebeard

Post by idea »

What kind of players will you put on your subs bench if you can't use them regularly? the only answer is the cheapest rubbish you can find. A real waste of time then having a subs bench.

Demo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Demo »

idea wrote:What kind of players will you put on your subs bench if you can't use them regularly? the only answer is the cheapest rubbish you can find. A real waste of time then having a subs bench.
I have to agree with you on that one. The only possible advantage I can see is by putting cheap fillers in who have midweek games etc that your main team players don't because of Champs league, international games etc. I put a draft team together the other day and they were all also rans........

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

idea wrote:What kind of players will you put on your subs bench if you can't use them regularly? the only answer is the cheapest rubbish you can find. A real waste of time then having a subs bench.
But if it doesn't count as a transfer to bring a sub into your team (which it doesn't seem to) then if you select two mid-table players you can chop and change them depending on who has the easiest game in a GW without having to burn transfers. Granted, it's still not the best addition if the transfers aren't automatic but I think you'd get more points from rotating two over-average players versus one top player and a cheapie.

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

Just been into edit my team (might as well before it all starts) & it gives you the option of saving your team to start later in the season. You can presumably sit at your PC now & decide your entire season's line-ups & then just sit back and wait for your changes to be done automatically.

Not sure I'll be doing this though.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

Shaggy365 wrote:Just been into edit my team (might as well before it all starts) & it gives you the option of saving your team to start later in the season. You can presumably sit at your PC now & decide your entire season's line-ups & then just sit back and wait for your changes to be done automatically.

Not sure I'll be doing this though.
I believe it says in the help that this won't work until the season starts. You may be able to but it won't remember them. It's a great tool though b/c it means that you don't necessarily lose ground if you're away over a weekend although I don't plan to use it for more than that period as it's too hard to predict what may happen over a longer time-scale.

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

It just lets you save a lineup for 16th Aug presently but will only let you save a lineup for 2 weeks in advance once the season starts.

stanley smith
Red & Blue Braces

Post by stanley smith »

Bearing in mind you have 5 transfers to use each month, you probably wouldn't want to be saving teams for more than a couple of weeks anyway, as your line up will be changing.

Bribaba
Kevin and Perry

Post by Bribaba »

The blurb announces the 'most varied game'. I'd suggest the most random. How on earth are you expected to anticipate who scores what?

puppyfeat
Treebeard
FS Record: OFL Golf Majors winner and a few minor footy prizes

Post by puppyfeat »

Bribaba wrote:How on earth are you expected to anticipate who scores what?
I thought that was what fantasy sports was all about!

Bribaba
Kevin and Perry

Post by Bribaba »

puppyfeat wrote:
Bribaba wrote:How on earth are you expected to anticipate who scores what?
I thought that was what fantasy sports was all about!
They are.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

Well that's cleared that up.

mephisto
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The end is where we start from

Post by mephisto »

Maybe its the anti viral horse pills theyve given me for shingles but I cant work out how to get the best use or max games out of the subs. Anyone explain?

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier League Champion 2014-15

Post by The Saint »

mephisto wrote:Maybe its the anti viral horse pills theyve given me for shingles but I cant work out how to get the best use or max games out of the subs. Anyone explain?
I have been struggling to work this out too as without automatic substitutions for non-playing first teamers and with a generous 5 transfers a month it is not immediately obvious what the point of the bench is.

stanley smith
Red & Blue Braces

Post by stanley smith »

I agree. 5 transfers per month is way too many for a squad game. It makes it too complicated in my opinion. It will take a lot of time and skill to work out the best use of transfers and subs each month. Time that I probably won't be able to find.

mephisto
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The end is where we start from

Post by mephisto »

Saint and Stanley I have emailed the grauniad to see if they can shed any light on the subs bench. Will post reply when arrives.

ketabank
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: 27th 2004-05 FPL

Post by ketabank »

Maybe I'm reading the scoring all wrong but you would have to be mad NOT to select 5 defenders and 2 Defensive Midfielders wouldn't you? :shock:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Guardian Fantasy Football (Ceased)”