To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

TFF/FPL Combo Cup 2010/11

A forum for discussion on the Combined FPL/TFF Side Competition run by DixieDean
Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: TFF/FPL Combo League Tables - 2010/11

Post by Surprised »

hancockjr wrote:Well done Surprised - great effort. Cup would be great but the gameweeks can make it difficult to work out whne to have the cutoffs for the weeks, or you may be halfway through a gameweek. A Friday cut off may work.

Would be great to have the separate tables as well, but not i it is too much trouble.
Yep. Because it's 2 comps combined it makes some game weeks incompatible. I think the TFF GW starts on Tuesdays and the FPL one on Saturdays so I will probably run it based on the FPL gameweeks as these are needed for subs etc whereas in TFF it doesn't matter.

I will post separate tables. It's no problem.

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

Surprised wrote: Because it's 2 comps combined it makes some game weeks incompatible. I think the TFF GW starts on Tuesdays and the FPL one on Saturdays so I will probably run it based on the FPL gameweeks as these are needed for subs etc whereas in TFF it doesn't matter.
Not every week. e.g. in FPL GW25 starts on Tuesday next week and finishes the following night.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

grob wrote:
Surprised wrote: Because it's 2 comps combined it makes some game weeks incompatible. I think the TFF GW starts on Tuesdays and the FPL one on Saturdays so I will probably run it based on the FPL gameweeks as these are needed for subs etc whereas in TFF it doesn't matter.
Not every week. e.g. in FPL GW25 starts on Tuesday next week and finishes the following night.
Going to be trickier than i thought
I had planned to run the 1st round in GW 25 and 26
FPL GW 25 is 1st and and 2nd Feb which, as you say next Tuesday and Wednesday.
FPL GW 26 is the 5th and 6th which are Saturday and Sunday.

That should be workable as I can get the updated TFF weekly scores on the Thursday in GW 25 and the FPL GW25 scores which then cover the 1st leg. 2nd leg is FPL GW 26 and the weekend scores for TFF. It's a simple calculation to get these.

GW 27 however is a huge week and goes from 12 Feb to 23rd Feb which is very tricky as it covers 3 TFF weeks. I may postpone the last 16 until GW28.

All ideas welcome.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

TFF/FPL Combo Cup 2010/11

Post by Surprised »

I will move the posts from League thread to here and post the draw.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: TFF/FPL Combo Cup 2010/11

Post by Surprised »

Draw made tonight using http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-cup-f ... erator.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bye goes to hogmeister

Jonathan v reds363

Matty B v Krispy

Mintman v cherylhoney

bonsey v Knulpuk

keithy007 v Jeffersdn

tenpinterry v Karrde

hancockjr v Mystery

Spencer4 v Oatfedgoat

totempaul v Surprised

blahblah v AJC1964

DixieDean v KeviFisher

SE v johnnyhp

Nedved11 v grob

barry v zipnolan

Spinynorman v bagpuss

reds363
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 28th 06/07; TFFO 3rd 09/10; TFF 3rd 12/13

Post by reds363 »

Surprised wrote:Going to be trickier than i thought

That should be workable as I can get the updated TFF weekly scores on the Thursday in GW 25 and the FPL GW25 scores which then cover the 1st leg. 2nd leg is FPL GW 26 and the weekend scores for TFF. It's a simple calculation to get these.

GW 27 however is a huge week and goes from 12 Feb to 23rd Feb which is very tricky as it covers 3 TFF weeks. I may postpone the last 16 until GW28.

All ideas welcome.
The only way to do it sensibly is, as you've said you will, to go by FPL gameweeks, in order to ensure scores are captured each week after FPL supersubs have gone through. TFF updates every day so it should be fine (unless there's a quick gameweek turnaround as you mention between GWs 25 and 26, and you don't have time to capture the tables in that gap). Although if you're running a 2-legged cup match over GWs 25 and 26 there's not even an absolute necessity to get an update in between the weeks (unless you were needing to judge an 'away goals rule' between the two legs in case of a tie).

Only thing to watch out for is FA Cup ties, some of the time it should be easy as they'll fall in the middle of an FPL GW (eg the 5th round on 19 Feb which just sits in the middle of the long GW27), but for example the cup this weekend comes after GW24 has ended but before GW25. For the season-long comp it won't matter as it will all get added up in the end, but for a cup you'd just have to decide exactly how to split the weeks (and when you want to do updates) - eg either say "GW 25 covers only games on Feb 1 & 2" or "games from 29 Jan to 2 Feb".

Oh, and cheers for running this by the way!! :D

Interesting draw... good luck J!

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Surprised wrote:Draw made tonight using http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-cup-f ... erator.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bye goes to blahblah

Jonathan v reds363

Matty B v Krispy

Mintman v cherylhoney

bonsey v Knulpuk

keithy007 v Jeffersdn

tenpinterry v Karrde

hancockjr v Mystery

Spencer4 v Oatfedgoat

totempaul v Surprised

hogmeister v AJC1964

DixieDean v KeviFisher

SE v johnnyhp

Nedved11 v grob

barry v zipnolan

Spinynorman v bagpuss
Corrected :roll:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

reds363 wrote:
Surprised wrote:Going to be trickier than i thought

All ideas welcome.
The only way to do it sensibly is, as you've said you will, to go by FPL gameweeks, in order to ensure scores are captured each week after FPL supersubs have gone through. TFF updates every day so it should be fine (unless there's a quick gameweek turnaround as you mention between GWs 25 and 26, and you don't have time to capture the tables in that gap). Although if you're running a 2-legged cup match over GWs 25 and 26 there's not even an absolute necessity to get an update in between the weeks (unless you were needing to judge an 'away goals rule' between the two legs in case of a tie).
This is true. The 2 legs can be combined into one update but I download the scores as a web query so it's easy to download the GW 25 scores and if have time I can post the 1st leg scores. If I don't have time I can post both leg scores after GW26 is finished.
reds363 wrote: Only thing to watch out for is FA Cup ties, some of the time it should be easy as they'll fall in the middle of an FPL GW (eg the 5th round on 19 Feb which just sits in the middle of the long GW27), but for example the cup this weekend comes after GW24 has ended but before GW25. For the season-long comp it won't matter as it will all get added up in the end, but for a cup you'd just have to decide exactly how to split the weeks (and when you want to do updates)
The games on 29th will be OK as I will not start the cup until the games on the 1st Feb which also coincides with the start of the TFF gameweek after the cup games. FPL GW27 will not be part of the Combo cup which will carry on in GW28 with the last 16 1st leg.
Any FA Cup games which fall in a GW will just form part of the combo score for combo cup purposes.

reds363
Dumbledore

Post by reds363 »

Surprised wrote:The games on 29th will be OK as I will not start the cup until the games on the 1st Feb which also coincides with the start of the TFF gameweek after the cup games. FPL GW27 will not be part of the Combo cup which will carry on in GW28 with the last 16 1st leg.
Any FA Cup games which fall in a GW will just form part of the combo score for combo cup purposes.
Sounds good - but I presume you're doing a combined update this Thursday after GW24 closes, then won't the update the following Thursday after GW25 have included this weekend's cup TFF points? (Unless you've taken another TFF update after the weekend's cup)

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

reds363 wrote:
Surprised wrote:The games on 29th will be OK as I will not start the cup until the games on the 1st Feb which also coincides with the start of the TFF gameweek after the cup games. FPL GW27 will not be part of the Combo cup which will carry on in GW28 with the last 16 1st leg.
Sounds good - but I presume you're doing a combined update this Thursday after GW24 closes, then won't the update the following Thursday after GW25 have included this weekend's cup TFF points? (Unless you've taken another TFF update after the weekend's cup)
Yes. I will do a full update on Thursday and I will do one again on Tuesday next week after TFF have updated for the cup games (and coinciding with TFF gameweek ending on the Monday).
That should avoid getting FA cup games mixed up in the wrong game week (I think)

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

Haven't really understood all the complexities posted here yet, but all sounds good and..
...get your hands off my bye, Blah Blah! :lol:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Hogmeister wrote:Haven't really understood all the complexities posted here yet, but all sounds good and..
...get your hands off my bye, Blah Blah! :lol:
I didn't really take them into account until reds363 pointed then out. It's why it's good that people highlight these things,

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Dixie would have let me have the bye :evil: :evil:

I might accept the Cup being named in my honour, having thought up the Combined idea in the first place.........

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

blahblah wrote:Dixie would have let me have the bye :evil: :evil:

I might accept the Cup being named in my honour, having thought up the Combined idea in the first place.........
I should get the bye but instead I play last years winner. :shock:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Surprised wrote:

Organisers only win by cheating :lol:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

blahblah wrote:
Surprised wrote:

Organisers only win by cheating :lol:
The rules will be changed to say that the person doing the "official" updates gets a points bonus

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2 Top 100 finishes in TFFO; £270 in CYKI since 2008

Post by DixieDean »

Welcome to my world Surprised :wink:

Thanks for sorting things mate. You are a top man... You need some Photoshop training but other than that... I'd say all cool 8-) :wink:

The Cup is hard to sort because the spreadsheet I used wanted 32 players to work. Last year I did a 2 legged play-off to get the desired number because 34 entered at the start.

This year... only 31 joined up. Plus if you read back on this thread... SE wants to back out so you'll have only 30 and not 31 for the Cup Comp.

Complicated. :oops:

Rich

you can always PM me if needed.

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

BTW: The rules on the first post say that every week is based on a TFF gameweek NOT FPL. ie Tuesday to Monday each calendar week. That's the only way the scoring will work.

I'm going to have to read back on what I've missed and advise because if you are using my spreadsheet... it will not work unless you follow the TFF timeline.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

DixieDean wrote:Welcome to my world Surprised :wink:

Thanks for sorting things mate. You are a top man... You need some Photoshop training but other than that... I'd say all cool 8-) :wink:

The Cup is hard to sort because the spreadsheet I used wanted 32 players to work. Last year I did a 2 legged play-off to get the desired number because 34 entered at the start.

This year... only 31 joined up. Plus if you read back on this thread... SE wants to back out so you'll have only 30 and not 31 for the Cup Comp.

Complicated. :oops:

Rich

you can always PM me if needed.
If SE drops out then it's OK. I'll just make his match a bye sothe 1st round has 2 byes. Not perfect but time is a bit short now to run groups for the cup. It's not the easiest competition in which to run a cup!

I probably will PM you at some point. I'm not using the macros and such in your sheets as I wasn't sure i'd have time to make them work properly so I just set up my own data sheets but used your tables.
I need to get the jpeg stuff sorted though!

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

DixieDean wrote:BTW: The rules on the first post say that every week is based on a TFF gameweek NOT FPL. ie Tuesday to Monday each calendar week. That's the only way the scoring will work.

I'm going to have to read back on what I've missed and advise because if you are using my spreadsheet... it will not work unless you follow the TFF timeline.
How would you account for subs etc in FPL if the TFF week ends halfway through a FPL week?

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

Also... Just read that a potential rule change may occur :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't go changing the rules young man.They are set in stone.

I'm not giving this up forever you know.... :wink:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

DixieDean wrote:Also... Just read that a potential rule change may occur :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

Surprised wrote:
DixieDean wrote:BTW: The rules on the first post say that every week is based on a TFF gameweek NOT FPL. ie Tuesday to Monday each calendar week. That's the only way the scoring will work.

How would you account for subs etc in FPL if the TFF week ends halfway through a FPL week?
Are you using my spreadsheet?

If so... it automatically works out points deductions when adding FPL totals. No matter what day of the week you add it up...

The thing is that if you run the game on FPL GW dates the TFF scores will go pear shaped. This happened to me the first year I ran the game and it caused me loads of grief.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

DixieDean wrote:Also... Just read that a potential rule change may occur :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

+1

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

It was meant to be a way to combine the new (FPL) with the old (TFF) leading games, with a points tweak to provide parity.

The Cup could run on weekend games only, to get around the luck of midweek games?

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

blahblah wrote:

+1
As the guy that came up with the original idea. I reckon you should get a bye to at least the semi finals. :idea: :wink:

BTW Surprised... I ran the cup last season as a Champions league style game. Are you planning to do the same mate?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

DixieDean wrote:
Surprised wrote:

If so... it automatically works out points deductions when adding FPL totals. No matter what day of the week you add it up...

The thing is that if you run the game on FPL GW dates the TFF scores will go pear shaped. This happened to me the first year I ran the game and it caused me loads of grief.
The sheets don't work.
I will send you a pm

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

DixieDean wrote:
blahblah wrote:

+1
As the guy that came up with the original idea. I reckon you should get a bye to at least the semi finals. :idea: :wink:

BTW Surprised... I ran the cup last season as a Champions league style game. Are you planning to do the same mate?
Simple knockout

reds363
Dumbledore

Post by reds363 »

DixieDean wrote:
Surprised wrote:

As long as Surprised is able to take a snapshot of both leagues between the end of each FPL GW and the start of the next, there is no way anything will go pear-shaped. And it is the fairest way because of supersubs (which is what I'm sure Surprised was referring to above, not transfer penalty points which will be ok either way) - take the following example. If you had new weeks starting each Tuesday, then say a player had Nelsen (didn't play) on their pitch and Richardson (loads of points) on their bench this FPL week, they'd get Richardson's FPL points from last Saturday's match in next week's points which is ridiculous.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

I didn't read the rules before I made my suggestions and as it's dixies competition I don't want to alter the scoring.
I have sent him a PM to ask him to explain how his spreadsheets work and I am happy to go with those.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Combined FPL/TFF Side Competition”