To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

How captains work in SkySports Fantasy League

A forum for news and discussion on SkySports Fantasy Football. Both Football365 and TeamTalk used to feed into this game.
Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

How captains work in SkySports Fantasy League

Post by Jonathan »

In the Sky game, it's the usual thing when there are midweek matches - I can never remember how the captaincy choices work, so I have fished out a thread from a couple of seasons ago, which contained a perfect and clear explanation as to how they work. Thanks to boredc for the following post:

The gameweek runs from Tuesday to Monday and you need to pick your captain before the first game in the gameweek. Therefore, in most weeks you will choose your captain on the Saturday for that week's games (ie in most weeks there will only be games on Saturday, Sunday and Monday night so the first game of the gameweek will be on Saturday).

However, when there are midweek games you must pick your captain before the first midweek game kicks off even if your captain choice isn't playing till the weekend (ie if there is a game on Tuesday night you will have to make your captain choice before that match kicks off and that will be your captain right through the weekend).

Hope that's clear enough.

Real life example: the first game of the season is at 12:45 on Sat 15 August. Therefore you need to pick a captain for that weekend by then. Then the next set of games start on Tuesday 18 August at 7.45 so you need to pick your captain before these games and he will stay your captain over the weekend matches as well (so basically you'll be picking a captain for two matches).

barry
FISO Knight

Re: How captains work in SkySports Fantasy League

Post by barry »

only the 4 games this week.

Rooney captain for me.

next week more interesting with games on Tuesday, wed, sat, sun and mon... double week for Stoke, Fulham, Arsenal and Bolton.

you're welcome :wink:

boredc
Wideboy

Post by boredc »

I only wish I had heeded my own advice as I missed Rooney's hat-trick @ Portsmouth earlier this season by forgetting to change my captain prior to the midweek games!

reds363
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 28th 06/07; TFFO 3rd 09/10; TFF 3rd 12/13

Post by reds363 »

Worth pointing out that this year you CAN change captain between midweek and weekend.

http://fantasyfootball.skysports.com/Ar ... spx?id=504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can change your captain right up to the scheduled kick-off time of the first game of a fixture block. This means before the first match of a set of weekend fixtures (Saturday to Monday inclusive) and before the first of any midweek matches (Tuesday and Wednesday).

The window for changing your captain will open on Tuesday morning and will remain open until the first match of a Game Week (Tuesday to Monday), which will usually be on a Saturday, unless there is a midweek fixture or a set of midweek fixtures. When there are midweek fixtures the captaincy window will re-open at 00:00:00 (BST/GMT) following the final midweek match.

Aliaksandr
Treebeard
FS Record: Sky Sports Fantasy Football 07/08 Winner

Post by Aliaksandr »

reds363 wrote:Worth pointing out that this year you CAN change captain between midweek and weekend.

http://fantasyfootball.skysports.com/Ar ... spx?id=504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can change your captain right up to the scheduled kick-off time of the first game of a fixture block. This means before the first match of a set of weekend fixtures (Saturday to Monday inclusive) and before the first of any midweek matches (Tuesday and Wednesday).

The window for changing your captain will open on Tuesday morning and will remain open until the first match of a Game Week (Tuesday to Monday), which will usually be on a Saturday, unless there is a midweek fixture or a set of midweek fixtures. When there are midweek fixtures the captaincy window will re-open at 00:00:00 (BST/GMT) following the final midweek match.
Indeed, appears to have returned to how it used to be before last season.. could be a big factor.

Paddington
Treebeard

Post by Paddington »

So for example you can only have one captain for the games this weekend Sat thru Monday, then pick a new captain for the Tues/Weds games, ready to pick a new captain for the matches starting the following Saturday?

You can only have max of 2 captains a week assuming games are played Tues/Weds? Just one in a week with no midweek games?

Aliaksandr
Treebeard
FS Record: Sky Sports Fantasy Football 07/08 Winner

Post by Aliaksandr »

Paddington wrote:So for example you can only have one captain for the games this weekend Sat thru Monday, then pick a new captain for the Tues/Weds games, ready to pick a new captain for the matches starting the following Saturday?

You can only have max of 2 captains a week assuming games are played Tues/Weds? Just one in a week with no midweek games?
Yep, pretty much. Here's an explanation from the top..

You can change your captain before the scheduled kick-off time of the first
game of a fixture block. A fixture block means a set of weekend (Saturday -
Monday inclusive) matches or midweek matches.

The captaincy change window opens on Tuesdays and closes at the scheduled
kick-off time of the next match. When there are midweek matches you can
change your captain again from midnight after the final midweek match up
until the first weekend match.

Cheers,

Ally Ross
Games Administrator

fanADE
Treebeard
FS Record: Winner MATT HODGSON J4G WC2014 PREDICTIONS

Post by fanADE »

Quote from skysports
Captains

'Your selected captain will score double points for your team. This applies to both positve and negative points. You can change your captain before the first scheduled kick-off time of each fixture block. A fixture block is definded as either a group of weekend or midweek fixtures.'

Thank you.. guys.. i was thinking about this captaincy rule and thinking others must be using this to the hilt.. and i thought.. FISO would have the answer..

so in theory this weekend just gone.. i could have had 1 captain.. until monday .. then change it on tuesday for tuesday match.... and then change back on saturday for saturday match?? so the idea of a week as tuesday to monday has been abolished?.. but if there had been matches on tuesday .. wed.. thur.. then i would have to stick to 2 changes max ..per mid week? or weekend matches..
apologies for intentionally confusing things .. but this scenario may occur

fanADE
Treebeard
FS Record: Winner MATT HODGSON J4G WC2014 PREDICTIONS

Post by fanADE »

in point of fact.. although i knew that rule in august.. i did not use it until recently!! and it worked like a treat.. i'm assuming that it will work again for the games starting this weekend of bumper games.. though i note there is no discussion of GW27 OR GW28 here.. as you can make transfers on the day..

keithy007
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: A few national wins and some other podiums.

Post by keithy007 »

Captain Changes

Up to 1 captain change per game week. Game weeks run Tuesday to Monday. Captain changes must be completed by the kick-off of the first scheduled match in a game week to be eligible to score double points that week.

Says the 'gameweeks' are Tues to Mon this season. Am I reading this right? :?:

Chuck Taylor
Dumbledore
FS Record: 11/12 Sun WDT Top 100 ~ 2012 BDO Darts FISO League Champion ~ 2011 Yorkshire Post Golf Weekly Winner ~ 10/11 TFF Wk 8 Winner ~ TFF FISO Block Party Cup Winner ~ Daily Mail 61st

Post by Chuck Taylor »

I read it as it says, rather than last seasons midweek matches/new captain it's now a 7 day week so if there are midweek matches then your captain the tue/wed night will follow on to the weekend, can see this catching a few people out, maybe best ping them an email keithy? seems to be taking over a week for a response though

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

I drew attention to this change when our ML was set up. It's clear enough I reckon,though if GFM are still running this for SKY in 2012-13, I predict they'll change it back to how it was last season,as many won't notice the change until they find themselves stuck at the weekend with a captain they chose specifically for a mid week game only.

keithy007
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: A few national wins and some other podiums.

Post by keithy007 »

Cheers Chuck/Grob. Yep I read it as being changed this year to actual 7 day game weeks, but just wanted to check. Pretty clear to us three now I think, but we know that one of the main reasons people dont crack it at TFF is the old sin of ''Not reading the rules'' :roll: :wink: ...and I think this will get a few as its a 'tweak' that can easily be missed. Guess I saw it better because I havn't played the Sky game for sometime.
Note: for those who dont know what I mean about the importance of the rules, read FISO's ten commandments :) :shock:
Work might mean I dont actually 'play' (it well) this year, but just fancied a go in Chucks FISO league :wink: skysports-fantasy-league-2011-12-now-li ... 9-140.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boredc
Wideboy

Post by boredc »

It's went back to as it was before they changed it last year, which is described in the first post in this thread.

The Elkmaster
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: I seven-balled the Ingram boy

Post by The Elkmaster »

First time I've played this game and I'm a bit old and senile. How the hell do you physically change your captain? I thought I'd figured it out but it's still showing my old captain :?

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

A different company running it this year (gfm rather than ofl) so they've adapted their own system to nearly match the old rules, rather than tweak an existing system. Haven't tried to transfer a captain yet, but with last year's game, you couldn't transfer your existing captain out while a gameweek still had matches to play - you had to wait until start of next gameweek, then move captaincy to someone else, then you could transfer the original (old captain) out. I think. Anyway, if they've kept that - and the t and c's don't specify - you wouldn't have been able to transfer a captain out if you did it in the last week, but might be able to now.

BUT if you're just trying to move captaincy from one player to another - which i have tried to do - yes same problem here, thought i'd done it but computer says no. So maybe yet another glitch, it's not been a good year so far for game providers.

The Elkmaster
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: I seven-balled the Ingram boy

Post by The Elkmaster »

Thanks for the reply, yes, same as yourself just trying to change captains with no transfers.

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

It's not working,which is surprising for GFM considering how important it must be to them to impress Sky in their first year.

For the benefit of passers-by,you click on TRANSFERS to change your captain,even if you don't want to make any.

You select your captain and press "make transfers", think you're done and dusted,only to find you've still got your previous captain on your team page.

I'm sure they'll be working on it,with today being the first time it should have been possible to change captains.

boredc
Wideboy

Post by boredc »

Also worth pointing out that a guy in my mini-league managed to transfer out his captain on Monday before the Man City game. He had captained Gervinho ( :lol: ) and swapped him out for David Silva.

Previously, you could not transfer out your captain till after the next gameweek started.

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

boredc wrote:Also worth pointing out that a guy in my mini-league managed to transfer out his captain on Monday before the Man City game. He had captained Gervinho ( :lol: ) and swapped him out for David Silva.

Previously, you could not transfer out your captain till after the next gameweek started.
did Silva score double?

Chinese Whisperer
Treebeard

Post by Chinese Whisperer »

quote]

did Silva score double?[/quote]

+ MOTM.

My captain didn't get double points yet. Are they late updating, or a mistake ?

boredc
Wideboy

Post by boredc »

That was my first thought Barry. But he didn't.

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

boredc wrote:Also worth pointing out that a guy in my mini-league managed to transfer out his captain on Monday before the Man City game. He had captained Gervinho ( :lol: ) and swapped him out for David Silva.

Hopefully,they'll reverse that - they must do as it's against the rules of the game.
- especially as the guy in your ML not only avoided Gervinho's Red card being doubled,but got Silva's MOM 5 pts doubled instead - or he'll be expecting to !

I suspect that's why we can't change captains at present,coupled with the issue Chinese Whisperer mentioned ,as I've also not been awarded double points for my captain RVP's MOM 5pts.
I've mailed them about both matters.

andye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by andye »

I received this email before the season started ...

'Dear Mr Edwards,

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

Each team can make a captaincy change each game week. The game week runs from Tuesday to Monday and to be effective during a game week, the captain change must be completed before kick-off of the first scheduled game in a game week to be eligible for that game week.

You can transfer out your captain, and the incoming player would take over the armband, however they would not score captain points until the following game week.

I hope this helps with your enquiry.

Kind regards

Simon
Sky Sports Fantasy Football'

boredc
Wideboy

Post by boredc »

Grob, he did get Gervinho's negative points doubled and 'only' got the 12 for Silva. So the captain points seemed to work ok but previously you couldn't transfer out your captain till the gameweek ended.

In terms of changing captain: Sky have posted on their FF Facebook page that this weekend is still part of gameweek 1 and that's why you can't change captain!?! They are making a complete arse of what was my favourite FF game. Mind you they're not the only ones.

Sky have confirmed on their Facebook page that the first gameweek runs from "Saturday 13 August to Monday 22 August inclusive". It is noted in the T&Cs of the prize section of the website.

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

boredc,I'm glad to hear that he got Gervinho's red card doubled,and I assume from what you've said that Silva got 12pts without his score being doubled, but I've not had my captains points doubled yet.

Do GFM assume everyone goes to Facebook for information about the way they're running the SKY FF game ? I certainly don't. They should e-mail us all about such matters.

All I know is that I should've been able to change my captains since the start of the new GW yesterday,Tuesday,and still can't do so today,Wednesday

It seems that GFM have bitten off more than they can chew this season as they've screwed up the points in the Mail game too.

boredc
Wideboy

Post by boredc »

I wasn't aware people were still waiting for their captain points. It seems everyone in my mini-league has had them. All I can say is that so far the player who brought in Silva has not had those points doubled.

The 2 week long opening gameweek is a farce and considering this is a change from the previous 3 years or so should have been highlighted and not hidden away in the small print of the prizes section.

Agree with Grob's point about communication and I will try and highlight here anything of importance that I see on Facebook or Twitter from them.

andye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by andye »

The T&C's in the prizes section state ..

'The weekly prize will be awarded to the Manager whose team has accumulated the highest number of points in a Game week (Tuesday to Monday). The first prize Game week will be Saturday 13th August to Monday 22nd August inclusive'

However there is no mention of this odd week in the Captain Changes section . Clearly there should have been - I have just posted on Facebook to that effect

Hopefully someone at GFM/Sky will realise the sensible thing to do is to allow everyone to change their captain before midday Saturday

Andy

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

I don't see how they can now,in view of their statement on Facebook. GW2 starts next Tuesday, 23rd August,so no transfers made or captain changes will be effective until then.

It was downright sloppy not to highlight this on the website,as anyone who's played this game in previous years will have been caught out when selecting their team for GW1.

It's not even mentioned in the "How to Play" section,or even when you go from there to Prizes - it's buried in the small print of the long winded text of the Prizes section.

There's no way I'd have chosen Taarabt as my captain for 2 GW's if I'd known that's what I was doing !

Still,it's swings and roundabouts I suppose. All those planning to bring certain players in for GW2's games believing that would be next weekend won't be able to.

You can't change the rules in part i.e. allow captain changes but not transfers prior to the start of the next GW
Incidentally,although I haven't had a reply to my captain's points issue, my RVP's captain's points are now showing on my stats view but my total points haven't changed - which is because they were already included in the total,but not on the points breakdown.

I had RVP in both my teams but as captain in only one of them,yet he was showing as having the same points in both teams.
Last edited by grob on 17 Aug 2011, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

boredc
Wideboy

Post by boredc »

Grob, if I'm reading your post right I think you're mistaken about transfers. Transfers become active from the kick off of the first game of that day. So a transfer made after the first game started on a Saturday would become active for the first game on the Sunday.

It's not the same as FPL where transfers are only active from the start of the gameweek.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “SkySports Fantasy Football”