To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

1 Transfer = ? Points

A forum for news and discussion on SkySports Fantasy Football. Both Football365 and TeamTalk used to feed into this game.
itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: ?

1 Transfer = ? Points

Post by itslikebrandnew »

How many points improvement do you target when you make a transfer?

I'll give you an example, i have a player that going to score me 0 points a week. 2 games left until the overhaul, would you swap him out if you thought the transfer could get you 5pts a game, 10 pts a game etc?

Cars and Mané
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Sky Fantasy Football Winner 2017/18

Re: 1 Transfer = ? Points

Post by Cars and Mané »

Last season I based it on 10 points. I still use it as a guideline but now generally reserve transfers for high value players where you can get a captaincy out of it. I think with all the premium strikers on offer and the difficulty of going with three big guns up top, we'll need a lot of transfers for rotating between them. Salah made things easy last year.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Thanks, so the Salah effect makes it a 3 striker game and because of him we'll need more transfers this season to rotate strikers. Looks like it's going to be alot different to last year when i stayed with 3 strikers when i should have gone to 2.

I did write somewhere else i was going 3 strikers and 8 enablers this year, probably got the strategy right but the personnel wrong at the moment :lol:

Something i did notice was the chain reaction of transfers needed once we get past the overhaul to get decent captain picks.

Cars and Mané
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Cars and Mané »

Yeah exactly. There were long stretches last year where I only had one striker actually. Kane, KDB and Salah covered most captains.

I think it'll be tough to have three up top this season as there is so much value in premium defenders. I've done it pre overhaul as I didn't want to use many transfers, but my value picks are not delivering at all. And others have got a bit fortunate with non premium striker captains.

I'm leaning towards two super premium striker slots in my post overhaul team and rotating them, but as you say, uses up a decent number of transfers.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

I'm going to have to leave my team alone until the overhaul, but it does bug me seeing 0pts next to a player :lol:

I've not really check out premium defenders, i tend to find myself reluctant to captain gks/defs so dont usually go premium with them and only captain them when i run out of attacking options.

If like you say the value is in the premium defenders i think i'll look at a little 5-3-2 project today for my 2nd team, just to see what type of team i can put together.

Cars and Mané
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Cars and Mané »

Not saying they're good captain options. But if you take someone like Robertson: arguably playing in the league's best defence, usually gets tier 2 passing bonus, decent chance of tackle bonus and quite attacking. All for 9m.

Compare that to Jorginho, who will get passing bonus but little more for the same price. I know he's done well so far but he got a penalty with Hazard off the pitch and a motm which is a bit of a lottery.

I'd caution against 5-3-2 though. Quite an inflexible formation as you can't have 5-4-1.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

I just have this mindset where if a player is premium for his position then he's wasted if he's not a captain. If paying a premium price then in my eyes rightly or wrongly it has to be justified with double points. It's obviously a mindset i need to change if i want to do well, and instead of looking at players who'll score or assist i need to look more at players picking up bonuses to keep the team ticking along and leave my strikers to get all the goals.

Just tried a quick 5-3-2 and created a reasonable team, but the lack of flexability is a nightmare.

Btw do you think its a crazy idea to pick the cheapest player there is just to have stronger 10?

Cars and Mané
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Cars and Mané »

I think so, yeah. If you pick one of the better 6-6.5m defenders then they'll probably get you 3-4 points per game. I'd say you'll probably be better off upgrading a non playing defender to one of them, than upgrading a 7m player to a 9m, for example.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Just put together my overhaul team (although i'm sure something will happen to create a chain reaction of changes to it). Managed to go 343 without any deadwood in it. GK/Def still looks a bit iffy but i just couldnt squeeze Trippier / Robertson in.

Went up to the end of the year and it's a min of 7 transfers and that's without injuries/suspensions/players dropped or rotated/poor form etc. I reckon if i can get away with double that i'll be lucky. That 7 includes a captain for every day.

wandacatvenus
FISOhead
FS Record: 2017/18 - £5000 profit from Sky FF

Post by wandacatvenus »

It's Like Brand New.

You need to learn the concept of 'Value'

One commonly used identifier of value is PPMG.

This equated to Points per £Million cost of a player per game played.

A figure above 0.7 PPMG is desirable.

So for a striker valued at 10m you are ideally looking for an average score of 7pts per game or higher. This ballpart figure has been realised by more defenders (premium usually) over the last year than by strikers.

Usually requirements about starting players apply.

wandacatvenus
FISOhead

Post by wandacatvenus »

wandacatvenus wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 21:10 It's Like Brand New.

You need to learn the concept of 'Value'

One commonly used identifier of value is PPMG.

This equated to Points per £Million cost of a player per game played.

A figure above 0.7 PPMG is desirable.

So for a striker valued at 10m you are ideally looking for an average score of 7pts per game or higher. This ballpart figure has been realised by more defenders (premium usually) over the last year than by strikers.

Also helps you identify the premium priced dross (is not value players)

Usually requirements about starting players apply.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Thanks wandacatvenus, that 0.7ppmg will come in useful. However saying more premium defenders reach that than strikers will not fit in with how i play as i try to avoid captaining defs and try to captain attacking players.

So for me a striker that i'll captain could be at .5ppmg and still represent value if i captain him 2 games in a row couldn't he?

Not trying to detract from your help, as the 0.7ppmg will come in handy for enablers.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

itslikebrandnew wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 21:30 Thanks wandacatvenus, that 0.7ppmg will come in useful. However saying more premium defenders reach that than strikers will not fit in with how i play as i try to avoid captaining defs and try to captain attacking players.

So for me a striker that i'll captain could be at .5ppmg and still represent value if i captain him 2 games in a row couldn't he?

Not trying to detract from your help, as the 0.7ppmg will come in handy for enablers.
Depends on when you run out of transfers and if the one you're thinking about now for 2 games will cost you a premium player/ captain for more at the business end of the season? Or maybe you think now, I'll keep a couple back for April/ May and not make a sensible transfer or two in February, whatever you do is wrong unless it works!

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

:lol: @ "whatever you do is wrong unless it works!"

It's true but if you work off an algorithm for premier players that doesn't take into account the frequency of captaining you'll get the wrong result. Let's take Salah for example his PPMG is less than 0.7 as he only has 17pts however if you've captained him twice he's got 34pts and a PPMG of 1.3, Alonso on the other hand has a PPMG of 1.25 so you'd say Alonso is the better option without any knowledge of captains but for me because i dont captain defenders Salah is better.

I just don't see how you can use PPMG for premier players that you'll cherry pick matches and captain. It does however make perfect sense for other players. for enablers that play week in week out it's going to be really useful for me.

Cars and Mané
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Cars and Mané »

You're right. However the key is that if you think premium strikers are poor value without captain then you should keep them to a minimum and just rotate the best one in and out for captain.

The thing in Sky is that they're not necessarily poor value. Aguero and Salah both cleared the 0.7 threshold last season (using this year's prices). I actually think this year the 'good value' threshold might be more like 0.65 due to the general inflation in prices.

wandacatvenus
FISOhead

Post by wandacatvenus »

Salah is not far off the 0.7 PPMG figure.

You also need to play a minimum of one (probably two) strikers which you are most likely to be Kane/Aguero/Salah. These players will be top of the striker PPMG figures.

My point was that it's easy to get drawn into to using multiple transfers on poor value, high cost players. Often a high individual week score can hide a multitude of 2 pointers around that score. When you average the total score out over a number of weeks, the player represents poor value and you would have had an higher score over the same period from a steady eddy (Fernandinho/Azpi last season) who scores consistantly 5 to 6 PTS per week minimum.

My message was more for Itslikebrandnew rather than CarsandMane who having won the competition last year knows how to play the game. I came 43rd last Season so had some moderate success.

My personal thoughts are that 3 up front is not viable this year. It's 2 from 4 (Salah/Kane/Aguero/Auba) with rotation required for easier games/Captaincy requirements.

My

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Thanks, that's given me something else to think about. After the overhaul it might not be so clever going 343 as all the big strikers play on the same day and i can only have one captain which means i could be getting some really poor value. I'll keep the 343 for my 2nd team as it will interest me how they do.

I do seem to get drawn into transfers. Last week i put in Firmino because he was getting an extra game but then i took him out before the extra game as i was worried about Man City v Huddersfield when i saw the team news. So having Aguero i also threw in Jesus knowing both would play and i'd also be guaranteed a starter and captain as they are the early kick off this weekend.

It worked out well as i got 58pts from that, but pretty much a wasted transfer on Firmino and somewhere along the line i think some flawed logic :lol:

Still i think i've started off quite well as i'm in the top 1200, and last season being my first i started off in a similar fashion and managed to climb to 52nd before trying to be too clever by not captaining kane or salah and throwing all my good work away and then giving up :lol:
Last edited by itslikebrandnew on 23 Aug 2018, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

Cars and Mané
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Cars and Mané »

wandacatvenus wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 09:47 Salah is not far off the 0.7 PPMG figure.

You also need to play a minimum of one (probably two) strikers which you are most likely to be Kane/Aguero/Salah. These players will be top of the striker PPMG figures.

My point was that it's easy to get drawn into to using multiple transfers on poor value, high cost players. Often a high individual week score can hide a multitude of 2 pointers around that score. When you average the total score out over a number of weeks, the player represents poor value and you would have had an higher score over the same period from a steady eddy (Fernandinho/Azpi last season) who scores consistantly 5 to 6 PTS per week minimum.

My message was more for Itslikebrandnew rather than CarsandMane who having won the competition last year knows how to play the game. I came 43rd last Season so had some moderate success.

My personal thoughts are that 3 up front is not viable this year. It's 2 from 4 (Salah/Kane/Aguero/Auba) with rotation required for easier games/Captaincy requirements.

My

Didn't mean to make it seem like I was trying to reply to you, was just trying to build on what you were saying for the benefit of itslikebrandnew.

Will be interesting to see which way people go with post overhaul teams. I haven't ruled out three 13m slots. Have a feeling Aguero could be a must have this season, particularly for home games. If he is then it will be very difficult to rotate captains with just one premium slot.

I've managed to build a 4-3-3 I'm pretty happy with. We'll see if I actually go for it!

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Been tinkering but this set of fixtures after the overhaul is just a nightmare. If you don't go 3 13m up front it's going to be a case of burning through transfers at an alarming rate.

GW 7 is going to be a big day to pick the right captain. Cardiff v Man C, Man U v Wolves, L Pool v So'ton, Brighton v Spurs.

wandacatvenus
FISOhead

Post by wandacatvenus »

itslikebrandnew wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 11:41 Been tinkering but this set of fixtures after the overhaul is just a nightmare. If you don't go 3 13m up front it's going to be a case of burning through transfers at an alarming rate.

GW 7 is going to be a big day to pick the right captain. Cardiff v Man C, Man U v Wolves, L Pool v So'ton, Brighton v Spurs.
That's my point. Transfers are precious, Even more so this year with Salah re-classified and his price increased.
I've allowed myself one transfer Pre Overhaul. (On a premium striker rotation)

And I am also stuck with players like Boly and Peltier who I will keep to the Overhaul. (Unless you can show me a 5.4m option I have missed that gets me a guaranteed 10pts in the next two games) so you are not alone with this problem.

You can go 3 Premium strikers up front but will the points lost by downgrading the defence / midfield be offset by the upgrade to a third premium striker.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

I'm stuck with garbage (3 players), but my overhaul team looks a little stronger.

I'm thinking that going 3 strikers and the savings on transfers it's probably worth it. However i'd say it's going to mean relying on getting the captain right more often than not and this season doesn't look like it's the coin toss between Salah and Kane.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Balls, i have to redo my overhaul team thanks to Richarlison.

Got no captain for the 16th Sept, so can't start with him.

wandacatvenus
FISOhead

Post by wandacatvenus »

Well Boly climbed out of my 'Trash Bin' today !!!!!

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

My trash bin needs emptying :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “SkySports Fantasy Football”