To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

POSTPONED games 10/11 Jan

A Forum for news and comment on Fixtures relevant to Fantasy Football games.
snout
FISO Knight
FS Record: a slice of that cake, over there

POSTPONED games 10/11 Jan

Post by snout »

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 96,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Portsmouth's Premier League game against Manchester City has been called off due to a frozen pitch. Both sides had been looking to climb the table in their first league matches of 2009.

Pompey had anticipated difficulties with freezing temperatures on the South Coast, and they have been battling to make the Fratton Park pitch suitable for football. However, the surface remains frozen and a decision to postpone the match was taken following an inspection on Saturday morning.

The fixture will now have to be rearranged but no date has yet been set.
Fulham v Blackburn in EPL also succumbed to the conditions. Other games are listed here and here.

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Re: Portsmouth v Manchester City POSTPONED

Post by DrBunker »

How does this effect Ireland's suspension - does it just move on to the next planned game as if this one had never happened?

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

DrBunker wrote:How does this effect Ireland's suspension - does it just move on to the next planned game as if this one had never happened?

Yes - I believe so.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

It's unbelievable that Premiership clubs can spend so many millions on players and their wages and yet apparently can't afford decent undersoil heating. I'm of the opinion that any team in the top two divisions who can't get a game on due to weather should simply forfeit the points.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

From a quick scan of the fixtures- I can't realisticly see this game being played before FA cup 5th round day at best....? Is that right?

If you have SWP, he could even be back for the game on 17th - so you may now only miss no games, or only one....somthing to conjure with....

tedbull
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 82nd 08/09

Post by tedbull »

forestfan wrote:It's unbelievable that Premiership clubs can spend so many millions on players and their wages and yet apparently can't afford decent undersoil heating. I'm of the opinion that any team in the top two divisions who can't get a game on due to weather should simply forfeit the points.
Bravo!

Norro
Treebeard

Re: POSTPONED games 10 Jan (includes Portsmouth game)

Post by Norro »

Mmm a sound investment for this one game of the year when it would be needed!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Norro wrote:Mmm a sound investment for this one game of the year when it would be needed!
Even if it's for one game a season, still likely to be small change compared to the contract of that crucial third-choice left-back for most teams :wink: If not having it meant an average of one default loss every season they would soon change their minds as well.

Bramernic
Dumbledore
FS Record: Plenty of super league prizes, nothing from the organisers.

Post by Bramernic »

I think that the night-time lows being experienced recently are somewhat extreme and may not re-appear for several seasons. It's not just Portsmouth who have been affected, Birmingham lost their FA Cup tie last weekend and their ground must be considered as premier league quality given that they were there last season and may well be there again next. And my own club Crystal Palace have been forced to delay their cup replay by one day next week in an effort to get the ground repaired in time. I'm no expert but are they suggesting that once a ground has been affected by a severe frost you can't just heat it up for a couple of hours, does it actually take days of careful manipulation?

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that a point deduction may not be much of a deterrant if this problem only occurs in this severity once every ten or so years.

snout
FISO Knight

Post by snout »

This thread has been made a global announcement so please avoid discussing specific fantasy games here; I'm sure there will be one or more threads started in the specific games forums already and this is where you will find your answers. :)

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

tommymooney wrote:From a quick scan of the fixtures- I can't realisticly see this game being played before FA cup 5th round day at best....? Is that right?
There could be a free date in 2 weeks time at 3 o clock on a Saturday as well

(Wait until 10pm on Tuesday to find out :wink: )

Jameselaprendi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jameselaprendi »

Is midweek of week starting 2nd February out of the question?

Portsmouth and Man City both play in the league the previous and following Saturdays...

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

Fulham v Blackburn OFF
(5Live)

snout
FISO Knight

Re: POSTPONED games 10/11 Jan

Post by snout »

PL to investigate - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... tball.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Premier League are to investigate why the pitch-heating systems at Fratton Park and Craven Cottage failed to prevent both Portsmouth's game against Manchester City and Fulham's against Blackburn being postponed on Saturday. [...] While the weather conditions were exceptional, Premier League clubs are required to have undersoil heating, or another system of pitch protection that has been approved by the Premier League board. If either club are found to have failed to have done enough to stage their games, the Premier League could impose a fine. [...]

Rescheduling the games will prove tricky, especially the Portsmouth game as they are already playing catch-up after their FA Cup third-round tie against Bristol City was postponed, while Manchester City's Uefa Cup commitments further clutter the schedule.

darkspidey
Grumpy Old Man

Post by darkspidey »

Word has it that the nearbye Palestinian march near the West End may have had some say in the decision to call it off, police pulled away from a violent march if they were at the footy. ...Apparently it was a problem yesterday
Last edited by darkspidey on 11 Jan 2009, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

snout wrote:PL to investigate - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... tball.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Premier League are to investigate why the pitch-heating systems at Fratton Park and Craven Cottage failed to prevent both Portsmouth's game against Manchester City and Fulham's against Blackburn being postponed on Saturday. [...] While the weather conditions were exceptional, Premier League clubs are required to have undersoil heating, or another system of pitch protection that has been approved by the Premier League board. If either club are found to have failed to have done enough to stage their games, the Premier League could impose a fine. [...]

Rescheduling the games will prove tricky, especially the Portsmouth game as they are already playing catch-up after their FA Cup third-round tie against Bristol City was postponed, while Manchester City's Uefa Cup commitments further clutter the schedule.
As I said before, forget token fines and award City and Blackburn the points. Solves the problem of rearranging fixtures as well.

Although I suppose the other question is, is it just a case of jobsworth referees calling off matches on safety grounds because they found a square centimetre of ice on the pitch? As usual the only certain losers are the fans, due to the shocking decision to scrap the traditional New Year's Day programme it will be the second half of January before some teams play their first league game of this year!

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

Judio wrote:
tommymooney wrote:From a quick scan of the fixtures- I can't realisticly see this game being played before FA cup 5th round day at best....? Is that right?

Thanks Judio, assuming Pompey are going to stroll the replay is a bit previous!!

Bramernic
Dumbledore
FS Record: Plenty of super league prizes, nothing from the organisers.

Post by Bramernic »

tommymooney wrote:
Judio wrote:

Thanks Judio, assuming Pompey are going to stroll the replay is a bit previous!!
I think he meant the opposite - if they lose to Bristol City then both clubs would be free to play on 4th round day.

MonkeyMan
Treebeard

Post by MonkeyMan »

Bramernic wrote:
tommymooney wrote:
Judio wrote:

I think he meant the opposite - if they lose to Bristol City then both clubs would be free to play on 4th round day.

You need to learn to read :roll: Tommy was quite right in what he said :D

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

RossNB wrote: You need to learn to read :roll: Tommy was quite right in what he said :D
To be fair, my statement wasn't clear Ross, I think it needed the correction!!

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote:
snout wrote:PL to investigate - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... tball.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I said before, forget token fines and award City and Blackburn the points. Solves the problem of rearranging fixtures as well.

Although I suppose the other question is, is it just a case of jobsworth referees calling off matches on safety grounds because they found a square centimetre of ice on the pitch? As usual the only certain losers are the fans, due to the shocking decision to scrap the traditional New Year's Day programme it will be the second half of January before some teams play their first league game of this year!
I like the points idea.

I think the Managers were there, Hughes certainly was.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fixture News”