Yes, it should be just like the other mini leagues
78%

Total votes: 18

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2 Top 100 finishes in TFFO; £270 in CYKI since 2008

Re: CYKI mini league entry deadline

Post by DixieDean »

This is like talking to a brick wall... publish the league code sorbie and be done with it!!!

sorbiegunner
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sorbiegunner »

Spencer4 wrote:...............This won't happen to somone who just guesses the mini-league number............
:lol:

sorbiegunner
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sorbiegunner »

DixieDean wrote:This is like talking to a brick wall... publish the league code sorbie and be done with it!!!
Even if I don't publish the league code, it's not going to sort the very real concern of people guessing the code is it.

Why is it like talking to a brick wall though, please post any concerns that I have previously ignored and I'll answer them as best as I can.
Last edited by sorbiegunner on 20 Aug 2008, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018

Post by Spencer4 »

sorbiegunner wrote:
Spencer4 wrote:The way I'm going to run the 'Posters' CYKI league is that I'm letting anyone in, whether they are newbies or not. All they have to do is post on the thread......
Post on the thread and they're in, right in the last week of the prize period.
Yes, why not, they'll be Fiso members (and posters) and that's what it's all about isn't it?

sorbiegunner
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sorbiegunner »

Spencer4 wrote:
sorbiegunner wrote:
Spencer4 wrote:The way I'm going to run the 'Posters' CYKI league is that I'm letting anyone in, whether they are newbies or not. All they have to do is post on the thread......
Yes, why not, they'll be Fiso members (and posters) and that's what it's all about isn't it?
No that's not what this debate has been about, the main concerns of most of the people who don't want the codes published is that people can come in during the game period and hi-jack the prizes.

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018

Post by Spencer4 »

sorbiegunner wrote:
Spencer4 wrote:
sorbiegunner wrote:
No that's not what this debate has been about, the main concerns of most of the people who don't want the codes published is that people can come in during the game period and hi-jack the prizes.
Why does every sentence get mis-construed :roll: . "What it's all about" referred to the gaining new fiso members.

sorbiegunner
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sorbiegunner »

Spencer4 wrote:
sorbiegunner wrote:
Spencer4 wrote:
sorbiegunner wrote:
Why does every sentence get mis-construed :roll: . "What it's all about" referred to the gaining new fiso members.
Are you or are you not concerned (to the point that you will not let it happen) that people may hi jack the prizes by joining your mini league mid way through a prize period.
I stress the point because it is the main concern of the people who were worried about the codes being posted on the forum.
As stated before, the existing mini league is a members only league.
What safe guards have you put in place to protect your new league from guessers?

Flyman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO FPL Knockout Cup Winner 08; 5th Overall Sky Sports Euro 12

Post by Flyman »

Spencer4 wrote:
sorbiegunner wrote:
So would you be happy about a newbie knocking you out of the FISO top 5 in a month when we win the League of Leagues prize?
Essentially, he'll just be using the other top 4 to win a prize for himself and denying you that prize which, imo, should rightfully be yours as you've been a member of the league that entire month and earned it.
That just doesn't seem right or fair to me, on account of them making one compulsory 'hello' post. They may well take the money and run, disappearing into the void henceforth. :|

To be eligible for the monthly prize I think you should, ideally, have been in the FISO league for that entire month. I appreciate withholding or denying access for up to 3 weeks may not be practicable, therefore suggest just the last week. A note in bold next to the League Code on the CYKI League thread op stating this rule should be acceptable.
I can't see any great influxes of applicants happening now the season has started, so the League admin (and anyone else who cares) need only check the league sporadically during the last gameweek of any prize month.

If this were done in conjunction with a 'Say Hello' thread then any 'potential hijackers' who get booted in that final week can be invited to rejoin by pm for the coming month. A template letter could easily be written, c&p'd and sent whenever necessary.

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

I'm with Spencer here.I think it's great idea to have 2 mini leagues.One is to publish league details on here for anybody could join, and the other one for the people don't like the idea of their price hijacked in last minute.
I personally on camp 1.FISO leagues should open to anybody(It could be a deadline 1 week before the end of the month).It doesn't bother me a complete newbie would come and nick my price even I won one monthly last year.
And I also can understand the concerns who don't like the idea of details to be published here.Everybody is different, so we all thinking different way.But we can sort this problem out with 2 leagues.
About the people can find some details with googling and joining in last minute?Well, that's is the whole idea isn't it with naming FISO for all of our mini leagues, even some of them named FISO.co.uk.So, yes we want new people to discover us and join us. :)

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Spencer4 »

sorbiegunner wrote: What safe guards have you put in place to protect your new league from guessers?
Well, as I've posted many times, people need to reply on the thread. If they don't they'll get evicted.

sorbiegunner
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sorbiegunner »

Flyman wrote:
Spencer4 wrote:
sorbiegunner wrote:
So would you be happy about a newbie knocking you out of the FISO top 5 in a month when we win the League of Leagues prize?
Essentially, he'll just be using the other top 4 to win a prize for himself and denying you that prize which, imo, should rightfully be yours as you've been a member of the league that entire month and earned it.
That just doesn't seem right or fair to me, on account of them making one compulsory 'hello' post. They may well take the money and run, disappearing into the void henceforth. :|

To be eligible for the monthly prize I think you should, ideally, have been in the FISO league for that entire month. I appreciate withholding or denying access for up to 3 weeks may not be practicable, therefore suggest just the last week. A note in bold next to the League Code on the CYKI League thread op stating this rule should be acceptable.
I can't see any great influxes of applicants happening now the season has started, so the League admin (and anyone else who cares) need only check the league sporadically during the last gameweek of any prize month.

If this were done in conjunction with a 'Say Hello' thread then any 'potential hijackers' who get booted in that final week can be invited to rejoin by pm for the coming month. A template letter could easily be written, c&p'd and sent whenever necessary.
I have suggested this (or something) in answer to your earlier post just back a few posts ago

sorbiegunner
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sorbiegunner »

Spencer4 wrote:
sorbiegunner wrote: What safe guards have you put in place to protect your new league from guessers?
Well, as I've posted many times, people need to reply on the thread. If they don't they'll get evicted.
Then what you are setting up in your new league is all I ever wanted in the first place (a league for members only with no deadline).
Although the debate has widened to address the issue of prize hi-jacking.

Flyman
FISO Knight

Post by Flyman »

C.Sativa wrote:I'm with Spencer here.I think it's great idea to have 2 mini leagues.One is to publish league details on here for anybody could join, and the other one for the people don't like the idea of their price hijacked in last minute.
Regretably, that won't help the 'No Hijackers' as they will now be competing against a league with largely identical members - but one which will permit hijackers!

As an example:
After 3 GWs FISO 1 (no hijackers) stands in 1st place in the LOL for a particular month.
FISO2 (Open to 'one posters') stands in second place as we enter the final week .....
Each league could easily (will probably) share 3 or 4 of the top 5 managers!

So, in comes a high-scoring opportunist who joins FISO 2 in the dying days of the month ..... so promoting them to 1st place and knocking FISO 1 off top slot - :evil:

Thanks very much! :roll:

This is why two leagues will be divisive to FISO and should be avoided, imo. It's the forum equivalent of taking the ball to a different park and excluding the other kids - only FISO 2 get what they want at FISO1's expense.
The only way it would work is if the two leagues are mutually exclusive, and that can only be to the overall detriment of us all as players and as forum members.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

Spencer4 wrote:
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here but just how do you know who you've sent the code to?

Posters A, B, C, . . . . . X, Y, Z say "hello" you send out 26 PMs with the code, one or more of them make the code known elsewhere (possibly even on another FISO thread), 200 people enter your league, you have absolutely no idea which of those 200 are the 26 you've sent the code to. Maybe you send out 100 PMs and 500 enter, 200 and get 1000?

Admin nightmare and it's your time that you'll be wasting trying to sort it out.

Have fun!

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Spencer4 »

sorbiegunner wrote:
Spencer4 wrote:
Then what you are setting up in your new league is all I ever wanted in the first place (a league for members only with no deadline).
Possibly. The reason I've started the new mini-league is because of the poll and the 70%+ result (Should the FISO CKYI mini league publish entry details like other FISO leagues).

This would mean the code would be out there in the public domain.

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

Flyman wrote:
As an example:
After 3 GWs FISO 1 (no hijackers) stands in 1st place in the LOL for a particular month.
FISO2 (Open to 'one posters') stands in second place as we enter the final week .....

So, in comes a high-scoring opportunist who joins FISO 2 in the dying days of the month ..... so promoting them to 1st place and knocking FISO 1 off top slot - :evil:

Well, this is competition.If you guys(assuming you will be in FISO1) can't beat FISO2 that means you haven't done your job probably.
Or, it could actually work the other way.At the end of the month we realize we are not winning, but a complete newbie discovers and joins us in last minute and could raise our average, and 4 of our members could win the price as well thanks to that new guy. :)

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

Spencer4 wrote:
sorbiegunner wrote:
Spencer4 wrote:
Possibly. The reason I've started the new mini-league is because of the poll and the 70%+ result (Should the FISO CKYI mini league publish entry details like other FISO leagues).

If we gonna have 2 leagues, you can actually limit post counts for the second one, not only to say hello and join.

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Spencer4 »

C.Sativa wrote: If we gonna have 2 leagues, you can actually limit post counts for the second one, not only to say hello and join.
Yes, that's possible too, but I really don't like the barrier of post counts or duration of membership. If it's obvious that someone is just in for the prize I may have a re-think.

sorbiegunner
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sorbiegunner »

Spencer4 wrote:
sorbiegunner wrote:
Spencer4 wrote:

Then please read my post from the CYKI 2008/09 thread which was posted very early in the debate
sorbiegunner wrote:I'm not meaning to be awkward I don't see any reason why this mini league should be a special case. If it's wrong for this mini league to publish it's entry details on the forum then all the other Fiso mini leagues are wrong and just this one is right, what has admin (and everyone else involved in running those leagues) missed re. this issue. If there is a genuine concern here then it should be debated further because all those other FISOmini leagues are at risk. Apart from all that the issue I raised initially (because I don't have a serious problem with the codes not being published provided people can still have access to them) was that of the deadline, which expired before the game has even begun
quote comes from this thread

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

Spencer4 wrote:
C.Sativa wrote: If we gonna have 2 leagues, you can actually limit post counts for the second one, not only to say hello and join.
Yes, that's possible too, but I really don't like the barrier of post counts or duration of membership. If it's obvious that someone is just in for the prize I may have a re-think.
Yes I also hate the post count limit idea.But this is the second league and as far as I understand some people prefer to see long term poster win the prices rather than complete newbies. :)

Flyman
FISO Knight

Post by Flyman »

C.Sativa wrote:
Flyman wrote:
As an example:

Well, this is competition.If you guys(assuming you will be in FISO1) can't beat FISO2 that means you haven't done your job probably.
Or, it could actually work the other way.At the end of the month we realize we are not winning, but a complete newbie discovers and joins us in last minute and could raise our average, and 4 of our members could win the price as well thanks to that new guy. :)
I think you've missed my point, C.S.: The likelihood is that most members will be in both FISO 1 and FISO2 unless each league is mutually exclusive - which can't be good for FISO - otherwise much of the time FISOs 1 & 2 may actually sit Joint 1st in the LOL with exactly the same membership! - What good is that?
As for 'competition' ..... well, there's 'getting what you can by whatever means necessary' and there's 'playing the game fairly'. I prefer to live by the latter but I appreciate that others don't. To me, allowing a hijacker to rob a 'month-long' member of a prize is immoral.

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

Flyman wrote:
C.Sativa wrote:
Flyman wrote:
As an example:

I think you've missed my point, C.S.: The likelihood is that most members will be in both FISO 1 and FISO2 unless each league is mutually exclusive - which can't be good for FISO - otherwise much of the time FISOs 1 & 2 may actually sit Joint 1st in the LOL with exactly the same membership! - What good is that?
As for 'competition' ..... well, there's 'getting what you can by whatever means necessary' and there's 'playing the game fairly'. I prefer to live by the latter but I appreciate that others don't. To me, allowing a hijacker to rob a 'month-long' member of a prize is immoral.
Why we are always assuming that the newcomer will nick our price.What about if the newcomer would help us to win the monthly competition.
This always reminds me an idea of foreigners are coming to this country and nicking our jobs and women. :wink:
And when was the last time one of our member lost the price because of the new comer?

Flyman
FISO Knight

Post by Flyman »

C.Sativa wrote: Why we are always assuming that the newcomer will nick our price.What about if the newcomer would help us to win the monthly competition.
This always reminds me an idea of foreigners are coming to this country and nicking our jobs and women. :wink:
And when was the last time one of our member lost the price because of the new comer?
To me, that is equally unacceptable - but this is my moral position and others might prefer to win regardless. I'd rather someone else won than we win this way, by allowing in a high-scoring late-comer only joining us to win himself a prize. :evil:
It's just not cricket in my book! :wink:

I've really no bother with (monthly) low-scoring managers joining the league at any time - only hijackers.

The last time this happened was, I believe, last season, wasn't it?

Flyman
FISO Knight

Post by Flyman »

sorbiegunner wrote:
Flyman wrote:Blah, blah, blah
I have suggested this (or something) in answer to your earlier post just back a few posts ago
I know ..... I was supporting what you said! :shock:
:lol:

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

Some interesting posts, ideas and opinions...

I'm a Capricorn, which apparently makes me very pragmatic. :wink: This affliction also makes me lazy to the point where I always want to find the simplest route from A to B while often ignoring C on the way. And at the same time my mind is still telling me it's completely logical.

Why oh why make extra work for yourself as the admin of a league? There are easy solutions and there are complicated answers to so many things in life... :D

Anyway... enough of that... Can someone explain why they think a min post count approach to this does not work please? By the way... It's not an elitist idea C.Sativa before you trunk in... it's surely an easier way of doing it?

I've suggested 50 posts before because I think that is fair but maybe (to make the idea more paletable) let's say just 5 posts...

Keep the league open to all via a public thread that gives the code out WITH NO DEADLINE FOR ENTRY - this clearly then placates Vid and sorbiegunner who have an issue with it being private and time restricted.

Then... a potential new and valued FISOer has to have been around for a while to join the league. Yep they could post a :D randomly on 5 different threads and get in but it's definitely more effort for them (this is the Capricorn thing coming back to my thoughts) than just PMing or posting - "can I have the code please?"

Believe me... over the last 2 seasons I've had dozens of them and they have never posted again on here. Period.

Make it slightly harder for them without making work for yourself basically.

Up that post limit and I guarantee that the risk of a non-FISOer - or more to the point someone that doesn't want to contribute to what we have here - getting in the top 5 at the end of the month would almost disappear and the workload for sorbiegunner will be very minimal.

I could be talking crap but it makes good sense to me... :wink:

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

DixieDean wrote:Some interesting posts, ideas and opinions...

I'm a Capricorn, which apparently makes me very pragmatic. :wink: This affliction also makes me lazy to the point where I always want to find the simplest route from A to B while often ignoring C on the way. And at the same time my mind is still telling me it's completely logical.

Why oh why make extra work for yourself as the admin of a league? There are easy solutions and there are complicated answers to so many things in life... :D

:
If you want to make your life easier just publish all the details on here and don't bother with anything else. :)
That's the way actually FISO admin runs his mini leagues.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44608" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the above FF competition(YTM) has £1K for the best league of the month not a £50 Amazon voucher.
edit;You can actually ignore the YTM example, I've just realize YTM has different rules about monthly prices, so it's not really %100 same. :)
Last edited by C.Sativa on 20 Aug 2008, 15:55, edited 2 times in total.

sorbiegunner
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sorbiegunner »

DixieDean wrote:........Keep the league open to all via a public thread that gives the code out WITH NO DEADLINE FOR ENTRY - this clearly then placates Vid and sorbiegunner who have an issue with it being private and time restricted.........
Are there people just ignoring this (even though it's now on two threads and in colour on this thread)
sorbiegunner wrote:Apart from all that the issue I raised initially (because I don't have a serious problem with the codes not being published provided people can still have access to them) was that of the deadline, which expired before the game has even begun

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

C.Sativa wrote:
DixieDean wrote:Some interesting posts, ideas and opinions...

:
If you want to make your life easier just publish all the details on here and don't bother with anything else. :)
That's the way actually FISO admin runs his mini leagues.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44608" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the above FF competition(YTM) has £1K for the best league of the month not a £50 Amazon voucher.
edit;You can actually ignore the YTM example, I've just realize YTM has different rules about monthly prices, so it's not really %100 same. :)
No... you've just made my point exactly and to a certain extent shown some further issues about manipulating a monthly prize... even within FISO. :? :(

I can
A) Google that thread...
B) log into FISO as a guest and read it.
C) I could then get the entry details and boom!!! win a grand with no need to register on FISO.

BTW: the amount of prize money is irrelevant... be it £50 from Amazon or a grand the principle is the same in my book.

This is a big issue in my opinion!!!

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

First of all this is not the way FISO principally works.I play 26 different FF games and I'm in the main FISO league nearly all of them.None of them has any issues about people googling and joining in last minutes.You might say CYKI is different.But what makes it different than any OFL run competition(SKY or CH4).Why it bothers people here but don't bother in other 25(and more with the ones I don't play).That could be the price involves perhaps? :wink:

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

Please read what I'm saying one more time... As Spencer4 pointed out earlier, this comes down to whether you are happy for anyone to join any league and still be happy with that. Some may be... like I get the inpression you are... and some may not.

I'd rather a remotely enthusiastic FISOer shared a prize and not a FF player that just has a bit of savvy to know how to earn some money/vouchers off the back of others.

I repeat to all... please read what I post carefully and not cheerypick and then quote me.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Can You Kick It (CYKI)”