To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Ratings Rants

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by The Sun newspaper.
superiorpinkham
Grumpy Old Man

Ratings Rants

Post by superiorpinkham »

Sterling star man, Ricky from Wales is killing it

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won DT WC 2018
Won DT weekender wk 2 18/19
Won TFE 18/19

Re: Top 100

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

superiorpinkham wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 22:08 Sterling star man, Ricky from Wales is killing it
Surprised at that. He’s a top player but didn’t think he had his best game tonight and a bit baffled why he got star man🤔 won the pen and probably made loads of successful passes I suppose so probably answered my own question😏 think I’d rather it if the ratings were done by who scored but maybe the star man done manually by a reporter

Biddles32
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2020/21 national finishing positions:

Sun dreamteam - 17th

SKy sports - 865th

TFF - 46th

Fanteam - 489th

Fanteam euros - TBC

Sun dream team euros - probable winner 😬

Post by Biddles32 »

Who scored rated Sterling 8.20 and Jesus 8.17

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Manchester evening news obviously watched the game and had Sterling on the joint lowest mark for a City player.

Raheem Sterling

The burst which drew the penalty was typical Sterling, and he caused problems all night, without having a great game 7

But the Sun go by the blind at whoscored.
Yet again I'd love to see any paper tgat rated stg as MITM. He was was poor as per.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

In the last 3 City games
7-0 Rotherham, from.nowhere at the death they bumped up Otomendi as Starman.eff joke.

They beat Burton 9-0 with Jesus scoring 4 and assisting 1 and they bumped up Mahrez as Starman- another eff joke.

The Sun cudnt bring their headline writers to go along with that so they over ruled their own rules and for once sensibly awarded it to Jesus.

And tonight Sterling was poor overall, missing his usual quota of gift opportunities and comes from nowhere to pip again Jesus for Starman

Who scored as a rating organisation ain't worth the Shit on my BOG-ROLL after a curry.

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

Biddles32 wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 22:44 Who scored rated Sterling 8.20 and Jesus 8.17
👍 I suppose at least when star man is decided by who scored ratings then everyone knows where they stand on it as it’s in black and white eg sterling 8.20 vs Jesus 8.17 though I do think that star mans are wrong a few times using who scored ratings. Obviously it works for and against you in DT so no complaints that side but it would be nice to agree with most of the star mans given.

As dot says Bit like when sterling got star man vs Liverpool in that epic 2-1 when both Bernardo silva (7.5) and Fernandinho (6.8) were amazing and pep n gnev were raving about how great they were. I know with reporters picking star mans they would/was be issues too but I wonder if in general they’d be more accurate with star mans🤔

ronny10
FISO Knight
FS Record: Not to shabby

Post by ronny10 »

Betfair base there betting on mom through whoscored, id be interested on the punters point of view on some of the late changes and wouldn't be surprised if it was more to do with that than anything to do with dreamteam.

It is what it is, I'm sure I could dig up more gripes about reporters ratings than who scored ratings , , ,and when I say more, I mean a lot!

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

ronny10 wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 23:36 Betfair base there betting on mom through whoscored, id be interested on the punters point of view on some of the late changes and wouldn't be surprised if it was more to do with that than anything to do with dreamteam.

It is what it is, I'm sure I could dig up more gripes about reporters ratings than who scored ratings , , ,and when I say more, I mean a lot!
The worst one I remember was when ronaldo almost single handily destroyed Holland with an incredible performance in Euro championships 2012 with both goals in a 2-1 win in arguably his greatest ever game for Portugal (alongside his hatty vs Spain WC 18) and the sun gave DT star man to Raul Meireles :shock:

Yeah you’re right Ron that undoubtedly there were dubious ratings/star mans given by reporters back in the day and I’m not trying to open an old debate on reporters vs who scored but like as dot has highlighted Manchester evening news gave sterling the lowest city rating tonight yet he’s ended up who scored star man😏. I don’t think he was pants or anything but I’d probably give him a 6.5 tonight and Jesus an 8.0. I think Sane was more dangerous than sterling with his assist and more penetrating runs.

I’ve no horse in the race (though obviously want the fisoers in the top 100 to do well💪) as my best team is light years behind leaderboard so it’s not a observation made out of DT bias, just out of watching the match tonight

Blademan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 5k weekly winner 2017
BIG BALLS WINNER PROBABLY

Post by Blademan »

Does seem a strange one as was nowhere near starman Imo and he's in my team

I thought last season was the best season for starman ratings overall but something as definitely changed this season as there's quite a few dubious awards.

hardly a coincidence that betfair are now involved with who scored and think this is the most likely factor to be influencing starman awards

Biddles32
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2020/21 national finishing positions:

Sun dreamteam - 17th

SKy sports - 865th

TFF - 46th

Fanteam - 489th

Fanteam euros - TBC

Sun dream team euros - probable winner 😬

Post by Biddles32 »

I think Sterling takes too much stick - i've noticed a lot of the older generation including family members of mine don't rate him but the game has changed now. Attackers now use there brains more, they defend more and they are fitter. And Sterling does all this and more - he won 3 aerials yesterday and that obviously gets rated well along with 5 dribbles and 3 shots and countless more stats. Maybe if Sane had played the full 90 minutes or Jesus for that matter then Sterling wouldn't have got star man but the fact of the matter is they didn't and Sterling did. Up the Sterling :D

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Blademan wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 07:12 Does seem a strange one as was nowhere near starman Imo and he's in my team

I thought last season was the best season for starman ratings overall but something as definitely changed this season as there's quite a few dubious awards.

hardly a coincidence that betfair are now involved with who scored and think this is the most likely factor to be influencing starman awards

Says it all really when a bookie is involved.

Sterling has received 2 MOTM awards in his last 3 games and he hasn't even scored :?

The unanimous opinion for MOTM in those games were for Fernandinho against Liverpool ( with honourable mentuons for others, not Sterling) and Jesus last night, for his brace and selfless running up front.
Fernandiho didn t even get a rating against Liverpool ffs. 6.8 he got what type of joke is that

Van Dijk, to use as an example, has been lauded and reconised from all quarters for nearly every game this season and quiet rightly so.
Numerous MOTM been bestowed on him in his 28 games but who scored in their wisdom have only recognised this twice.

To use a phrase, " what are they eff smoking over there"
Yes I happen to think Whoscored ain't with a eff wink.

cclem345
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cclem345 »

I have had my suspicions regarding betting companies using whoscored as a way of deciding winning bets.

However I don't think this is effecting the ratings.

If I was then it would make sense for your Fernandinhos to be awarded starman. Sterling is also a favourite I would expect for star man in the betting so he would generally be a popular pick. If that's the case better to play the ratings and give say Danilo a boost last night to star man.

Again would Van Dijk be a popular bet for man of the match? Nope. So again if it was rigged we would likely see more swinging his way than say Salah.

I think the problem is the weight in which actions get points. Dribbles and aerials score heavily seemingly more than other things.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Dot wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 12:15
Blademan wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 07:12 Does seem a strange one as was nowhere near starman Imo and he's in my team

Says it all really when a bookie is involved.

Sterling has received 2 MOTM awards in his last 3 games and he hasn't even scored :?

The unanimous opinion for MOTM in those games were for Fernandinho against Liverpool ( with honourable mentuons for others, not Sterling) and Jesus last night, for his brace and selfless running up front.
Fernandiho didn t even get a rating against Liverpool ffs. 6.8 he got what type of joke is that

Van Dijk, to use as an example, has been lauded and reconised from all quarters for nearly every game this season and quiet rightly so.
Numerous MOTM been bestowed on him in his 28 games but who scored in their wisdom have only recognised this twice.

To use a phrase, " what are they eff smoking over there"
Yes I happen to think Whoscored ain't with a eff wink.
The thing you keep doing is comparing subjective opinions with factual stats driven decisions.

Fernandinho did indeed get lots of plaudits in the Liverpool game - but he also gave the ball away more than any other player that night.
In terms of no one else acknowledging Sterlings contribution (in the Liverpool game). FPL have a bonus points system based on match actions.
Its not as complicated (or secretive) as whoscored... but they had Sterling as the second best City player that night (he's nowhere to be seen for last night though).

Forget your emotions when it comes to Sun/Whoscored ratings. Whilst it might be fallible i don't think its 'bent'. Its infinitely better than anything we've previously had in the Sun game.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Wolves game

second most shots
joint most on target
most dribbles
joint most key passes
second most aerials

better passing accuracy than Jesus
twice as many touches as Jesus
jesus made more fouls than Sterling
made more crosses than Jesus

————————————————————
Liverpool game

Shots joint second
most key passes (4) - B Silva and Sane were joint second with 1
most dribbles
most fouled against

Fernandinho had the third lowest passing accuracy (D Silva and Sane were the only players worst)
Fernandinho gave away possession more than any other player

Does he dribble a lot?
Yes
Does he make key passes?
Yes
Does he assist?
Yes
Does he pick up ratings?
Absobloodylutely

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Burton Game... Mahrez first

Code: Select all

Shots		4	6
On Target	2	5
Goals		1	4
Assists      	2	1
Key Passes	4	4
Passes       	61	36
Pass Acc.	89%	86%
Crosses     	2	0
Aerials      	1	2
Touches    	78	51
Dribbles	2	0
Disp’ssed	0	3
Tackles     	3	1

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

cclem345 wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 13:01 I have had my suspicions regarding betting companies using whoscored as a way of deciding winning bets.

If I was then it would make sense for your Fernandinhos to be awarded starman. Sterling is also a favourite I would expect for star man in the betting so he would generally be a popular pick. If that's the case better to play the ratings and give say Danilo a boost last night to star man.

Again would Van Dijk be a popular bet for man of the match? Nope. So again if it was rigged we would likely see more swinging his way than say Salah.

I think the problem is the weight in which actions get points. Dribbles and aerials score heavily seemingly more than other things.

Really?

City v Liverpool

Sterling v Bernardo

Aerials stg 0 v 0 Silva
Tackles stg 1 v 3 Silva
Dispossed stg 1 v 1 Silva
Dribbles stg 3 v 2 Silva
Pass success Stg 76 v 83 Silva
Possession Stg 3.2 v 4.7 Silva
Shots Stg 1 v 1 Silva

Yellow card stg 0 v 1 Silva

Rating stg 7.93 starman v 7.52 Silva smells already.

Stg v Fernandiho

Aerials stg 0 v 2 fern
Tackles stg 1 v 4 fern
Dispossed stg 1 v 0 fern
Dribbles stg 3 v 0 fern
Pass success Stg 76 v 71 fern
Possession Stg 3.2 v 4.7 fern
Shots Stg 1 v 1 fern

Rating stg 7.93 v 6.82 fern
Going by above stats aerials & tackles 6-1 in favour of Fernandinho and wasn't dispossessed as was stg had posseion a third more than Stg.

The only tho g stg had in his favour were 3 dribbles and 5 more passes.
Hardly justifies giving stg motm and Fernandinho doesn't even scrape a rating of 7.

How does that eff work.

Stg v sane identical but for

Aerals stg 0 v 1 sane
Tackles stg 1 v 2 sane
Dribbles stg 3 v 2 sane
Pass success Stg 76 v 71 sane
Possession Stg 3.2 v 3.9 sane

Stg 7.93 starman v 7.78 sane sane who was MOTM for most of the latter part of game until late switch to Stg yet again.

BENT

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Zimmerman wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 13:25 Burton Game... Mahrez first

Shots		4	6
On Target	2	5
Goals		1	4
Assists      	2	1
Key Passes	4	4
Passes       	61	36
Pass Acc.	89%	86%
Crosses     	2	0
Aerials      	1	2
Touches    	78	51
Dribbles	2	0
Disp’ssed	0	3
Tackles     	3	1
U needn't go past the ist 4 stats surely.

What is interesting is whoscored have now changed back their motm to Jesus

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

But obviously I see where it co.inf from. You think Mahrez merited motm.

Jesusßssßssssssssssssszssss christ.
You sound like a staunch remained who trots out the usual bile. " I'm not trying to stop Brexit"
FFs give it a rest

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Nope... i'm not saying anything. Im merely happy to accept the ratings and not calling it bent.
There are stats that favour Sterling.

Like it lump it.
Get him in your team (or don't).

If its consistently happening - you are a fool for ignoring him (or anyone) on principle.
Its like trying to play the game but refusing to put Chelsea players in your team.

Put aside your emotions and play the game.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Sterling	Fernandinho	Bernardo
Goals        	0	0              	0
Assists      	1	0              	1
Key Passes	4	0              	1
Shots        	1	1          	1
Shots on target	0	0         	1
Passes       	37	56             	54
Pass Acc	76%	71%           	83%
Aerials      	0	2        	0
Touches    	58	74             	75
Dribbles	3	0        	2
Tackles     	1	4       	3
Interceptions	2	1       	4
Clearances	1	3       	1
Crosses     	1	0       	2
Acc Crosses	0	0       	1
Long Ball	1	8       	7
Acc Long Ball	0	5       	3
Fouls        	0	1       	4
Misplacd passes	9	16             	9
Bad Control	1	6       	1

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Zimmerman wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 13:45 Nope... i'm not saying anything. Im merely happy to accept the ratings and not calling it bent.

Like it lump it.

If its consistently happening - you are a fool for ignoring him (or anyone) on principle.
Its like trying to play the game but refusing to put Chelsea players in your team.

Get it rite I'm a 150 grand richer fool u idiot

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

And he never had the most dribbles in the Liverpool game as Wijnaldum also had 3

And he never had the second most shots as Aguero had 3 And Mane and Firmino had 2, he had eff 1 along with 10 others.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Get outside parliament and wave ur Remain flagzz

cclem345
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cclem345 »

Dot wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 13:27
cclem345 wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 13:01 I have had my suspicions regarding betting companies using whoscored as a way of deciding winning bets.

Really?

City v Liverpool

Sterling v Bernardo

Aerials stg 0 v 0 Silva
Tackles stg 1 v 3 Silva
Dribbles stg 3 v 2 Silva
Shots Stg 1 v 1 Silva

Stg v Fernandiho

Aerials stg 0 v 2 fern
Tackles stg 1 v 4 fern
Dispossed stg 1 v 0 fern
Dribbles stg 3 v 0 fern
Shots Stg 1 v 1 fern

Going by above stats aerials & tackles 6-1 in favour of Fernandinho and wasn't dispossessed as was stg had posseion a third more than Stg.

Hardly justifies giving stg motm and Fernandinho doesn't even scrape a rating of 7.

How does that eff work.

Aerals stg 0 v 1 sane
Tackles stg 1 v 2 sane
Dribbles stg 3 v 2 sane

Stg 7.93 starman v 7.78 sane sane who was MOTM for most of the latter part of game until late switch to Stg yet again.

BENT
Read what I wrote and stop going off on one.

If the betting company were involved by sure they would make a hell of a lot more money awarding man of the match to Fernandinho or as someone else said Van Dijk rather than Sterling or Salah.
Last edited by cclem345 on 15 Jan 2019, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Dot wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 14:01 Get it rite I'm a 150 grand richer fool u idiot
Can’t argue with that :D
Dot wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 14:06 And he never had the most dribbles in the Liverpool game as Wijnaldum also had 3

And he never had the second most shots as Aguero had 3 And Mane and Firmino had 2, he had eff 1 along with 10 others.
Fair enough again... was only comparing him to other City players.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

cclem345 wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 14:08
Dot wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 13:27

Really?

City v Liverpool

Sterling v Bernardo

Aerials stg 0 v 0 Silva
Tackles stg 1 v 3 Silva
Dribbles stg 3 v 2 Silva
Shots Stg 1 v 1 Silva

Stg v Fernandiho

Aerials stg 0 v 2 fern
Tackles stg 1 v 4 fern
Dispossed stg 1 v 0 fern
Dribbles stg 3 v 0 fern
Shots Stg 1 v 1 fern

How does that eff work.

Aerals stg 0 v 1 sane
Tackles stg 1 v 2 sane
Dribbles stg 3 v 2 sane

BENT
Read what I wrote and stop going off on one.

If the betting company were involved by sure they would make a hell of a lot more money awarding man of the match to Fernandinho or as someone else said Van Dijk rather than Sterling or Salah.
Be careful, earlier in the season u stated that Laporte was the best defender in the premiership.
:oops:
My sides are just recovering on that one I don't wanna revisit that thread.

Virgil Van Dijk anyone :?

cclem345
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cclem345 »

Why are you changing the topic. Answering the question would there be more money staked on Sterling for man of the match or Fernandinho?

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

Zimmerman wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 13:45 Nope... i'm not saying anything. Im merely happy to accept the ratings and not calling it bent.

Like it lump it.

I agree Nev that it’s not bent, that we have to accept that the ratings are what they are and I get that the stats of sterling means he scores well with who scored......but......... it still doesn’t mean that the DT star mans truly reflect who the best player on the pitch is.

As biddles says sterling is a top player so I’m not denying how good he is but as dot points out I just don’t think raheem was star man in both Liverpool game and wolves last night despite his “who scored” stats. If you asked 100 people watching city vs Liverpool who star man was then I reckon Fernandinho would have got most votes, followed by Bernardo silva and a few agueros for his great goal and hold up play. How many out the 100 would’ve picked sterling as star man? It’s not a sterling dig as it could easily be mane or martial or Pedro next weekend that gets a imo undeserved star man and 5 points.

As you said if sterling’s stats always seem to score well with who scored (like otamendi and Daley blind) then makes sense to get him in

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Ratings Rants

Post by Zimmerman »

But this is where some lateral thinking is?

Star Man (in name) is the suns equivalent of MoM.
It used to be picked by the journalist (just like Alan Smith or whoever picking someone during the game on Sunday afternoon.

All it means now is “the person accruing the most points using the Whoscored algorithm”... not as catchy is it. But that’s what it is. Some bonus points.

Not star man, not man of the match, not the best player on the pitch, not even the guy who ran around kicking the most people. It’s just the biggest algorithm accumulator.

Maybe we should call in “Baa”.

And mentioned, in FPL they get bonus points;
I’m not sure anyone makes connection or assertion that the guy getting the 3 bonus points is the MoM? Maybe they do. I never have.

And the two don’t have to be mutually exclusive - often the BAA can be the MoM too

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “The Sun Dream Team FF Games”