To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Sun Dream Team needs to be revised

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by The Sun newspaper.
Lotus900
Cheetah

The Sun Dream Team needs to be revised

Post by Lotus900 »

I believe that the sun dream team needs to be revised , its become boring now in my opinion. If you do not have the majority of your team from the so called big 6 teams, then you will not have much chance of success. If you look at many of the teams in the game you will see that most of them have many of the same players in them, it doesn't give you much chance of catching those who maybe above you in a league.
They are the only players in the game who stand a chance of getting the most points as their teams will be playing the extra games, ie; Champions League and Europa League.
There are 14 other teams in the premier league, the players from those teams stand much less chance of accumulating as many points, so not many people pick them. In my opinion to make it a better game and for people to include players from their favourite teams who are not the big 6, I believe that only premier league and domestic cup games should be included in the game. Why not have a separate dream team game for the champions league and Europa league, after all they do it for the world cup, don't they, and that only lasts for a month. The European games last for nearly as long as the domestic season, so it should not be that hard for the sun to arrange.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: The Sun Dream Team needs to be revised

Post by Zimmerman »

That’s always been the case though;

The skill is in traversing the bargains.
The Chelsea and Arsenal players (the better ones) are not guaranteed to play on a Thursday night.

There isn’t a Vardy type that has stepped up to throw a curve ball in.

The early leaderboards were dominated by teams with Mitrovic and Palace defenders.

Maddison is still a popular go to man.

The guy in first place has a Watford and Everton midfielder

There are Wolves, Everton, Leicester, West Ham, Newcastle and Bournemouth players making up the top 100 teams

http://www.ffstuff.co.uk/Top100.php

Lotus900
Cheetah

Post by Lotus900 »

Zimmerman, I know what you are saying, I had players from some of the teams that you mentioned, but how often do players from some of those teams keep up the same performance levels for a whole season, not many. How many of them at the end of the season have hundreds of points like some of the players who may get to play European games. All I am trying to say is, to enable people to have players from the other 14 premier league teams or their favourite premier league team in their dream teams for the whole season, is to not include the European games and just have the league and domestic cup games that qualify for dream team points. The game is biased towards the big teams just as the tv companies are biased towards the so called big 6. As I said in my first post if the sun can run a world cup dream team, then surely they can run a game for both the European competitions.

cclem345
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cclem345 »

The game simulates real life in the league. If you don't start well you can't be expected to win. Just like if you don't finish well you can't be expected to win.

I have a team in 114th that has no Salah and has Doherty and Rob Holding. 3 differentials can make all the difference. It's all about balancing budget and playing the fixtures.

Edit: the players who play extra games tend to be significantly higher in price. So that is why prices are different to allow for that along with playing for better teams.

We don't live in a world were if you started with Tosun instead of Kane because you like Everton or you went with Deli Alli because of his stupid eye celebration that you should be able to rectify that by going for Neves of Wolves and Shane Long. The game is competitive and if you didn't start well it's not the games fault.

Out of interest what was your starting team. No doubt it was very similar to most people however I guess your transfers haven't maybe clicked at the right times which is the luck element of the game.

ronny10
FISO Knight
FS Record: Not to shabby

Post by ronny10 »

Lotus I think the games you are looking for are the telegraph, sky and fpl and even then the profile of the leading teams will be much the same.

Bar giving lesser teams player extra points for goals, clean sheets etc it's just the way it is!.

As mentioned above you pay more for players in the best teams so you should expect them to get more points, not just through extra games, but because they play for the best teams.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Indeed.. and whilst a Watford player won’t match a City player for points (not really surprising)... the skill (or luck) is when you switch from Richarlison to Wilson.

Alternatively you take Richarlisons 150 points for £3m and you swap around the 4m-5m players his lower price point has enabled you to get around.

The higher the points potential, the higher the price (doesn’t matter where they accrue the points). That’s the basics of all fantasy games I think.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Exactly. Success at any FF game is all about timing. Lotus has ignored this key point and (IMO) invalidates his main criticism of the game. Even if the player base from which you were allowed to select players only included 30 options, and all teams in the comp looked pretty similar, the key to winning would as always be timing.

Many years ago I mentioned Eric Morcambe's quip to Andre Previn, who accused him of playing the wrong notes, as an analogy very relevant to fantasy football. "I am playing the right notes ........ although not necessarily in the right order".

7lb claimer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 7lb claimer »

I don't like pending transfers. I'd like to be able to put in someone for the midweek games without being restricted. The game should be more about having fun with a bottle of wine and an illogical but sporty Europa League transfer than the present boring rules, although I suppose the more serious players prefer to plan their week in advance.

Also, I'm less interested in the game now I don't have to pay for it. Must be the wine to blame for that.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

7lb claimer wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 15:53 I don't like pending transfers. I'd like to be able to put in someone for the midweek games without being restricted. The game should be more about having fun with a bottle of wine and an illogical but sporty Europa League transfer than the present boring rules, although I suppose the more serious players prefer to plan their week in advance.

Also, I'm less interested in the game now I don't have to pay for it. Must be the wine to blame for that.
I certainly preferred it as it was 2 or 3 years ago when the transfer week started on Monday. This gave you the opportunity to do transfers for the mid week games and at the week end for all those teams not involved in Europe.

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

Yep if I could change 1 thing it would be to go back to the old transfer schedule, Tuesday to Monday would be perfect.

Biddles32
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2020/21 national finishing positions:

Sun dreamteam - 17th

SKy sports - 865th

TFF - 46th

Fanteam - 489th

Fanteam euros - TBC

Sun dream team euros - probable winner 😬

Post by Biddles32 »

I love the new game, the most highly skilled fantasy game in the country. It’s different from all the other top games which makes it unique - in terms of using all 4/5 competitions that the prem teams may or may not be involved in. Which then gives you a new level of skill/revision to do on player playing patterns. Then with the new price fluctuations to go along with this meaning you have to think more about when to bring players in otherwise you could just fall short by 0.1 million or if you play your cards right get the swing the other way. With players being locked after they play it stops daisy chaining (which i do love by the way) but it stops all the serial professionals like Robert Morton and Sandor Kovacs taking over the leaderboards (in the telegraph game). And with the game weeks starting from Friday to Friday again it makes the game more skilful because you need to work out who is gonna play both the prem games and the cup games which takes a lot of thought and revision as I mentioned above.

To summarise I think it should stay this way now apart from maybe introducing a payment for teams package and maybe limiting to 30-50 teams. With The other 3 big main fantasy football games being so different there is no reason to grumble about this game especially as the prize(s) is the best too ( even though 1st has dropped by 50k this year) 🙄

lfc71
Grumpy Old Man
Location: Usually top of my works/pub lges(50/60 entries)most seasons.
FS Record: Winner of my works & pub leagues (50/60 entries) most seasons (since 1993) - 13th place overall in SDT World cup 2014...10th place overall in SDT seasonal 20/21...1st place in SDT liverpool fan lge 20/21 season (over 80,000 entrants)

Post by lfc71 »

Agree with most of the above...although i would definately like to see it go back to the maximum 2/3 players per team rule.

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

2 or 3 player max rule is a terrible idea imo.

shakermeister
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won 3 works games plus Euro and works cup , usually finishing in top 3

Post by shakermeister »

News of the World dream team and extra points for players in the team of the day . :D
Those where the days :roll:

Blademan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 5k weekly winner 2017
BIG BALLS WINNER PROBABLY

Post by Blademan »

shakermeister wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 14:15 News of the World dream team and extra points for players in the team of the day . :D
and ringing your team in with the 3 digit pin and staying on the line long enough to be charged a fiver

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

shakermeister wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 14:15 News of the World dream team and extra points for players in the team of the day . :D
That reminds me if memory serves correctly, one year the News of the World had a fantasy football comp in which your team had to comprise 11 players of 11 different nationalities. The good ol' days when the fantasy market was full of variety.

lfc71
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of my works & pub leagues (50/60 entries) most seasons (since 1993) - 13th place overall in SDT World cup 2014...10th place overall in SDT seasonal 20/21...1st place in SDT liverpool fan lge 20/21 season (over 80,000 entrants)

Post by lfc71 »

ronny10 wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 13:29 2 or 3 player max rule is a terrible idea imo.
Only if your one of those players who favour block defence's.
It would mean more variety in teams (like what striker said above) instead of just loading up on City/Liverpool players like a lot have done this season.

lfc71
Grumpy Old Man

Post by lfc71 »

Blademan wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 14:29
and ringing your team in with the 3 digit pin and staying on the line long enough to be charged a fiver
Jeez yeah,i remember those days,used to take ages to get teams entered.
Putting tranfers in was'nt much fun either :lol:

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

lfc71 wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 15:59
ronny10 wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 13:29 2 or 3 player max rule is a terrible idea imo.
It would mean more variety in teams (like what striker said above) instead of just loading up on City/Liverpool players like a lot have done this season.

I actually disagree it would mean more variety

DarkStyles
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Long time player, Won Euro 2016 Dream Team Works League

Post by DarkStyles »

does anyone think The Sun will bring in new formations next season?
Id like to see the 3-5-2 formation 8-)

lfc71
Grumpy Old Man

Post by lfc71 »

ronny10 wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 16:30

Why i think it would mean more variety is because i believe it would stop people having full/semi blocks (especially from the top teams) if they wanted to have the top players in their front 6/7.

This would then mean picking the more unfashionable players who you might not normally go for in teams thus opening up more variety of picks/differentials amongst teams.

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won DT WC 2018
Won DT weekender wk 2 18/19
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

Another way to combat Lotus’s main gripe of the game being dominated by the top 6 players is by only giving us £45 million to spend initially rather than £50 million OR increasing the cost of the stellar players.

I’m sure back in the day you couldn’t afford lampard gerrard pires Henry van nistelrooy Rio Carragher terry in your team as the budget wouldn’t allow it eg Rio Carragher terry were £6 million, lamps gerrard Henry ruud etc were around £8 mill. So you had to get your £2 mill LeScott everton, Turner hull, Dawson spurs etc and thus had to have players out the other 16 (as it was back then)

Basically the game would be more of a challenge if VVD was 6.0, Hazard was 8.0 from the off etc instead of 4.5 n 6.0 or whatever they were.

I say more of a “challenge” but at the end of the day, it’s still same rules for all 1 million teams so anyone who wins over a 9 month season deserves big credit

Edit; tbf back in the day the likes of lamps, Gerrard were getting 350ish and terry Rio Carragher 250+, Cech van Der sar 200+ during their peak time so maybe that’s why mids n defenders n keepers are at a lower price

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

And you can’t now. Can you afford the 8 best players in the game (effectively what you did).

Pre-season

Salah 8
Kane 8
Hazard 6
De Bruyne 6.5
Mane/Sterling 6
Alonso 4.5
Azpil 4.5
Walker 4.5

= £47m

3m for 3 players?

I’d also add that if all the top players were dearer and we couldn’t afford as many top players... it wouldn’t necessarily give any more variation in teams plus it would mean midweek European action was really dull if we all only had 2-3 players playing. Would it be any more competitive or exciting?

There’d be a bit of variation on the big guns you went for and then all our teams would be padded out with the same bargain players once they became apparent. The cheaper players all tend to be much of a muchness so it would still boil down to whether you gambled on Sterling or Hazard

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

Zimmerman wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 18:22 And you can’t now. Can you afford the 8 best players in the game (effectively what you did).

Pre-season

Salah 8
Kane 8
Hazard 6
De Bruyne 6.5
Mane/Sterling 6
Alonso 4.5
Azpil 4.5
Walker 4.5

= £47m

3m for 3 players?
Ronny did🙂

No fair point but I’m sure it used to be harder to pick a team ten years ago etc. Didn’t we only have £40 million once🤔🤷🏽‍♂️. It seems now if you have Doherty n Maddison in then you can go big on top 6 whereas I’m sure it seemed harder back in the day

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Looking at some RMT from 2007 (£50m budget)

Terry
Evra
Ronaldo
Gerrard
Torres
Owen (this was the Newcastle Owen so possibly £3m bargain)?

Lehman
Clichy
Cole
Terry
Agger
Gerrard
Ronaldo
Berbatov

Lehman
Cole
Bale (was a spurs squad player)
Gerrard
Ronaldo
Van Persie
Rooney
Tim Cahill

Cech
Finnan
Evra
Bale
Cahill
Gerrard
RvP
Rooney

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

Think bale was 3.0 and down as a defender. Torres was 5.0 when 1st joined (I remember coz I didn’t go for him coz I didn’t think he was going to be that prolific as had roughly a 1 in 2.5 at atletico😏). Anyone remember injury hit shearer at 3.0 when he hit 25 or so during his later years? Phillips at 3.0 was a bargain too. Yeah I concede that big VFM was still there 15/ 20 years back but I still think it was harder back then budget wise (though no harder to win as it is now as same rules for all etc). The stellar keepers used to be 5-5.5, now it’s 4-4.5. The stellar defenders like hypia Vidic etc were 6 now the most expensive defender of all time VVD was 4.5 etc.

I reckon the team I finished with in WC would’ve cost easily £57+ mill back in 2002 WC. France block so one of the main nations (admittedly the 2 cheapish full backs weren’t 1st choice before WC), coutihno one of the greatest midfielders in the world and the most expensive, hazard again one of the greatest players in the world, pogba divides opinion but main midfielder for one of main nations and one time most expensive midfielder of all time, Kane probably in top 4 number 9’s in world, greizmann arguably in the top 5 best players in the world last 3 seasons and finally mbappe who we all knew was sensational even before the WC (who I think was 3.5😳). I remember winning my work mini league with the glorious 3 R’s in 02, Rivaldo, ronaldo, Ronaldinho in from the start but very much doubt I would’ve been able to cram in 3 or 4 other superstars in the team.

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

lfc71 wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 18:05
ronny10 wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 16:30

Why i think it would mean more variety is because i believe it would stop people having full/semi blocks (especially from the top teams) if they wanted to have the top players in their front 6/7.

This would then mean picking the more unfashionable players who you might not normally go for in teams thus opening up more variety of picks/differentials amongst teams.
Ok, let's take tho seasons prices at the start and see what we can do with 3 max per club.

I can't see past salah Kane and aguero and a large percentage would probably feel the same from day 1

Hazard is a must have, sterling also but you could argue against him from the start I guess

Throw in maddison as we need a cheapy and he is this season's for sure at 1.5 from the start.

So we have

Maddison lei
Sterling city
Hazard Chelsea
Salah pool
Kane spurs
Aguero city

So the obvious selections at the back are Gomez and robbo from pool and laporte for city.

City and pool players used up so where now, Chelsea solid enough so could go rudiger at 3.5 and Hart in goal who was a popular pick at the start or maybe shaw and another keeper up to 2.5.

So

Hart
Robbo
Gomez
Laporte
Rudiger
Maddy
Sterling
Hazard
Aguero
Kane
Salah

There will obviously be various other ways you can go from the start but I'd suggest teams would end up very similar very quickly with the option to catch the leaders even more restricted.

At least now with city and pool blocks leading you could gamble on another block to try and catch up rather than hoping morata will outscore Kane or something

lfc71
Grumpy Old Man

Post by lfc71 »

Thats almost my works lge/pub team apart from 3 players :lol: 👍

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

Yep with 3 transfers a month, you’re always going to get very similar teams by nov/dec whether it was 3 players max per club or unlimited simply coz the elite high scoring players and great cheap picks will be fancied by the masses. Eg Doherty and Maddison would be in loads of teams now whether it was 3 max per club or unlimited. Though as Lfc71 says it would make it interesting with no blocks and would be more to think about when picking your teams. Though I’d still expect to see familiar names up there come May whatever the rules were

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

I think it would be less to think about Dan.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “The Sun Dream Team FF Games”