To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

World Cup DT 2018

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by The Sun newspaper.
itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: ?

Re: World Cup DT 2018

Post by itslikebrandnew »

I'm assuming with transfers we'll be locked out on the first kick off of the day, rather than like the Telegraph where we can transfer someone in and then out again on a later kick off. If it's the latter then i'd probably waste a few transfers swapping a high value striker in and out as that would allow a budget for a decent defence.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Moved the squad post to here

johnjoe107
Treebeard
FS Record: Never been outside the top 3

Post by johnjoe107 »

chrisb182 wrote:
Edmondson wrote: 11 May 2018, 21:13 20 transfers to use as you please across the tournament, but only 3 can be used on any one day - is this to stop a full 5 man block flip?

What are the thoughts on best strategy for these :idea:

I'm assuming nurdling your transfers to ensure you have as many playing as possible at the end - would be fine for an office mini league win, but to lift the £100k something more aggressive needed?

What is your preferred:

1. Daisy chain some 3 man blocks, once, twice, three times....would you push a 4th for 12 transfers used :shock:
2. Rotate the really big ticket strikers, so your budget goes further, but you still have your preferred Messi, Ronaldo et all covered, but just burning transfers to cover them, gaining a few extra games. Then see them flop :roll:
3. Highly selective 2 for 1 opportunities, looking at someone with their 2 easiest games first, switching to someone with their 2 easiest games last, devised in a complex web of changes mapped into excel. :mrgreen:
4. Cautious tortoise, waiting to take advantage of injuries, a surprise knockout, or just seeing how the knockouts shape up to get your 2 for 1's going :|
5. The last minute panic about how far behind you are, so throwing in a 3 man Mororccan semi to catch up.....repeat x 3 then throw the towel in 8-)
6. A mixture of all of the above, but somehow missing the cleans, missing the goals on big ticket strikers and seeing well planned 2 for 1's yield negative returns from some unforeseen sending off, or ligament damage :twisted:
I'm going for a combination of 1 & 2. I can see Egypt doing quite well defensively in the group stages; the only blip possibly being a 1-0 loss to Uruguay. Rotating their defence with another team looking to get 3 clean sheets in the Group Stages (I'm looking at you Germany) seems like a good idea also. But that would use up 15 transfers and would give you no room to manoeuvre in the knock-out stages where you should get some idea about how the tournament will pan out.

It's a tricky conundrum. It seems like there's twice as much skill involved compared to the normal season game, and three times as much luck.

Anyway, anyone got any dark horses (player-wise) for the tournament? I'm really looking forward to seeing Paulinho's price-tag. I think he could go under the radar and would cost just £4 - £4.5m.
Milik (Poland) & Werner (Germany). Milik has just come back from a bad injury, he's a quality player and the Poles have a decent group. Werner is my tip for top goal scorer and you can rely on the Germans to go deep into the competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

I'm hoping for a bargain price on Sergej Milinkovic-Savic......especially as Serbia probably won't get past the group stage.

Top scorers, i'm thinking of players that are motivated for a big money move. Someone like Lewandowski or Hazard, but it will probably be someone from a less fancied team in an easy group so it will probably be Cavani

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

cclem345
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cclem345 »

itslikebrandnew wrote: 16 May 2018, 10:34 I'm hoping for a bargain price on Sergej Milinkovic-Savic......especially as Serbia probably won't get past the group stage.

Top scorers, i'm thinking of players that are motivated for a big money move. Someone like Lewandowski or Hazard, but it will probably be someone from a less fancied team in an easy group so it will probably be Cavani
Rodriguez of Switzerland was one to watch from the last euros as he hits free kicks. Also quite attacking.

Jonas Hector again was a popular pick from euros and could be decent value again.

Personally I think Uruaguay could pop up with a few decent players in defence.

It's the defence that's going to be the deciding factor along with transfer tactics.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

cclem345 wrote: 17 May 2018, 12:21
itslikebrandnew wrote: 16 May 2018, 10:34 I'm hoping for a bargain price on Sergej Milinkovic-Savic......especially as Serbia probably won't get past the group stage.

Rodriguez of Switzerland was one to watch from the last euros as he hits free kicks. Also quite attacking.

Jonas Hector again was a popular pick from euros and could be decent value again.

Personally I think Uruaguay could pop up with a few decent players in defence.

It's the defence that's going to be the deciding factor along with transfer tactics.
I'd love to have Godin in my team, but expect him to be too expensive.

Been messing about on the Fifa website doing the bracket challenge and at worst i can see Uruguay making the quarters. Can't see any unfancied teams making the last 8 but can see Egypt and Peru making the last 16 so i might sneak a decent player from either of those two teams into my team if i can see any value.

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won DT WC 2018
Won DT weekender wk 2 18/19
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

Messi is unsurprisingly the most expensive player in DT WC at 8.0 mill. DT and Whoscored worked out he would have got 512 points in DT this season if eligible😳

Nightowl
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: fiso cheap as chips champion 17/18

Post by Nightowl »

If messi has been priced up, I would say there is a full player list up somewhere, so who do you call ? :) jpk :lol:
So 2 weeks today it launches and 4 weeks today the tournament starts, not long guys :D

Big Dave32
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: 746

Post by Big Dave32 »

What do you guys rekon muller will be down as mid or a striker?

lfc71
Grumpy Old Man
Location: Usually top of my works/pub lges(50/60 entries)most seasons.
FS Record: Winner of my works & pub leagues (50/60 entries) most seasons (since 1993) - 13th place overall in SDT World cup 2014...10th place overall in SDT seasonal 20/21...1st place in SDT liverpool fan lge 20/21 season (over 80,000 entrants)

Post by lfc71 »

Big Dave32 wrote: 17 May 2018, 17:50 What do you guys rekon muller will be down as mid or a striker?
In the last WC he was down as a midfielder,can't remember what they had him down as at the euro's.

cclem345
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cclem345 »

MADCHESTER UTD wrote: 17 May 2018, 16:04 Messi is unsurprisingly the most expensive player in DT WC at 8.0 mill. DT and Whoscored worked out he would have got 512 points in DT this season if eligible😳
In a tough enough group though. Ronaldo surely is by far a better shout. Don't think I'll be going near Messi. Messi Ronaldo and say lukaku and that be near half your budget gone

johnjoe107
Treebeard

Post by johnjoe107 »

Big Dave32 wrote:What do you guys rekon muller will be down as mid or a striker?
Striker

CBN
Dumbledore
FS Record: Three top ten seasonal finishes in the last five years; three Weekender wins; and three times Big Balls champion!

Post by CBN »

MADCHESTER UTD wrote: 17 May 2018, 16:04 Messi is unsurprisingly the most expensive player in DT WC at 8.0 mill. DT and Whoscored worked out he would have got 512 points in DT this season if eligible😳

£42m ten player game then...

johnjoe107
Treebeard

Post by johnjoe107 »

Going to be won with clever transfers in the group stages 100%!!

Think I'm going to keep the same defence and rotate my front front 6 and hope to get a big lead going into the knockout stages.

cclem345
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cclem345 »

CBN wrote: 17 May 2018, 19:14

£42m ten player game then...
Id definitely rather have Ronaldo than Messi based on groups. Probably Lukaku too. Messi is Messi but I can see him playing deeper. Yes he can score a hat trick in the blink of an eye but think there's better options. To start with anyway.

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

itslikebrandnew wrote: 17 May 2018, 13:42
I'd love to have Godin in my team, but expect him to be too expensive.

Been messing about on the Fifa website doing the bracket challenge and at worst i can see Uruguay making the quarters. Can't see any unfancied teams making the last 8 but can see Egypt and Peru making the last 16 so i might sneak a decent player from either of those two teams into my team if i can see any value.
It's a minor miracle Peru even made it to the World Cup....firstly their 2-0 loss to Bolivia was turned into a 3-0 win because Bolivia fielded an ineligible player. Then Paraguay inexplicably lost at home to Venezuela in the final qualifying game when an expected win would have taken them through. Add to that the fact their talisman Paolo Guerrero is banned for the World Cup and I can only see an early flight home.

Agree with you that Egypt will qualify along with Uruguay unless we get some really dodgy officiating favouring Russia :roll:

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

Messi going in all 10/10 teams for me and will be staying there until at least the quarters. Possibly some rotation with Ronaldo depending on which transfer strategy I end up going with - where's RickyRosa when you need him? :D

CBN
Dumbledore
FS Record: Three top ten seasonal finishes in the last five years; three Weekender wins; and three times Big Balls champion!

Post by CBN »

Still trying to find his team on the Big Balls league table.... :D

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

BLOCKHEAD wrote: 18 May 2018, 01:12 Messi going in all 10/10 teams for me and will be staying there until at least the quarters. Possibly some rotation with Ronaldo depending on which transfer strategy I end up going with - where's RickyRosa when you need him? :D
After the quarters he'll be flying home.

8m is too much of the budget gone. In a season long game you'd expect quality to shine through but in a 3 to 7 game tournament there's always a long list of underperforming superstars. I see better options in easier groups where strikers have hat-trick opportunities.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

BLOCKHEAD wrote: 18 May 2018, 01:02 ...... unless we get some really dodgy officiating favouring Russia :roll:

Historically home teams have tended to get the rub of the green from refereeing decisions, (including England's third goal in the '66 final), and that is likely to be true again in Russia to some extent. However I'd suggest that the introduction of VAR may eliminate the worst, and reduce the overall effect of, "homer" decisions.

the-postman
fiso banshee
FS Record: fiso road to rio champ--sdt weekly winner 2015-jm elite league 3rd 14/15--sdt monthly r up 2016-
too many bbm wins to remember :-)

Post by the-postman »

messi is a wonderful player but can he carry that dreadful defence and not much better midfield

the same reasons they nearly failed to qualify

spain beat them 7-1 recently :shock:

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

But they have the starman magnet Otamendi in defence :D

The wallchart tells me that Argentina are good to get through to the quarters where they'll most likely get another thrashing to Spain.

ronny10
FISO Knight
FS Record: Not to shabby

Post by ronny10 »

BLOCKHEAD wrote: 18 May 2018, 19:06 But they have the starman magnet Otamendi in defence :D

The wallchart tells me that Argentina are good to get through to the quarters where they'll most likely get another thrashing to Spain.
My wallchart tells me England will win it. It's full of shit

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

I wonder which dark horse em9999 has winning it according to his wallchart - it was Austria at the last Euros :lol:

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Mine says England out in the last 16 to Poland.

I can't decide on whether Uruguay will beat France or not in the quarters.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

I've picked my team already, wonder how much it will cost me :lol:

GK Subasic
DEF Kimmich
DEF Godin
DEF Munier
DEF Vida
MID Goretska
MID Perisic
MID Rodriguez
F Neymar
F Cavani
F Muller

ronny10
FISO Knight
FS Record: Not to shabby

Post by ronny10 »

It will certainly cost you your chance of winning :P

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Lol, i'm not very good at these short games. Closest i got was when i gambled in Euro 2004 as i was so far behind and put all Greek players in :lol:

lfc71
Grumpy Old Man
Location: Usually top of my works/pub lges(50/60 entries)most seasons.
FS Record: Winner of my works & pub leagues (50/60 entries) most seasons (since 1993) - 13th place overall in SDT World cup 2014...10th place overall in SDT seasonal 20/21...1st place in SDT liverpool fan lge 20/21 season (over 80,000 entrants)

Post by lfc71 »

ronny10 wrote: 18 May 2018, 20:49 It will certainly cost you your chance of winning :P
:lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “The Sun Dream Team FF Games”